~Chapter 88: Anger Sadness Healing~

Welp, Ms. Hidayalmran gets another dedication because I definitely promised her an update yesterday but as you can see, that didn't happen. I'm terribly sorry, girl!! 🙈 hope this makes up for it!! 😘

Anyway, thanks to miralihah, SneakyLittleDevil, and kajollohar_1d for voting so much on my story!! Also, before posting this "In the Shadows" is THREE votes away from 4,000 votes holy shiiiiiiittteeeee!! That's crazy guys! I am seriously awestruck!! Thank you so freaking much!!

Things look a little bleak, but again, they'll get better!! ❤️

When they reached the infirmary, Kalysta ignored the corpse in its bed and went straight to where the physician stood next to Zayn.

"What have you discovered?" she asked. She got close to Zayn and grabbed his hand, needing to feel his warmth and life.

"I have a dead man over there and one on his way to it here," the physician breathed. "I don't know what you expect me to do, Princess."

"I expect you to save him!" she returned angrily. "That's your job and I don't care for any excuses." His comparing Zayn to Niall made her breath catch.

"Princess, death has its grip on him."

"And what will that mean?"

"He was hanged!" the physician exclaimed. "He went too long without air! Right now, his body has put him into a sleep like death. I've seen men wake up from it fully recovered; others woke up and weren't right in the head anymore; and still some stayed this way until death took them for certain. There's no way of knowing for sure. I don't think he will make it a week, though. He isn't responding to any vocal or pain stimulus. It's out of my hands! I have no control over what happens from here."

"There has to be something!" Kalysta snapped. "He's still living, still breathing!"

"Just because the body lives doesn't mean the soul does." His voice was soft, careful.

"Don't say that," she breathed. "I won't accept that." Her chest was heavy, every inhalation difficult.

"I'm sorry, Princess. I'm not sure what import he holds, but I'm sorry. Time will tell. But know this, the longer he sleeps like this the less likely he is to wake." He stepped back, bowing, and moved away.

Delia reached out and grasped her arm. "Milady, all we can do is wait. Why don't you come back to your rooms and get some sleep?"

"My rooms?" Kalysta's laugh had a hysterical edge. "You mean the marriage suite? I'd rather not."

"I mean your old rooms, of course," Delia replied earnestly.

"No." Kalysta shook her head vigorously. "I'll stay here with him for now."

"And do what? He can't talk."

"But what if he's aware? I want him to know that I'm here."

"And what if his mind is gone? That's a harsh possibility, but you can't spend your time here when things need doing."

"What needs doing?" Kalysta asked angrily. "We're facing war! We are going to go to war with Mullingar. What possible use could I be? I know nothing of battle, nothing of rule besides what my father pretended to relinquish to me."