~Chapter 36: Feverish Fancies~

Heyo! Double update because I'm awesome, right? ;) this one is for meowtainfeelsss who has been asking for some action for quite some time. Here's some in this chapter. I actually became overtaken with feels, so be warned.

Kalysta was surprised, but Zayn led the way back into the city that evening after telling Mahir to stay at the inn.

"He's not coming with us?" she asked as they walked along the deserted streets.

"No, he'll stay there at the inn with our horses and collect the gossip we won't be able to get in the castle."

"Are we seeing the King tonight?"

"If we can manage it." Zayn was still walking purposefully. "If we get there in time we can at least get a private meeting planned for tomorrow."

"How will you do that?"

"Remember, I told you there are words I can say to each ruler that will subtly show them that we're here on behalf of the resistance," he answered, voice quiet. "We'll go before the King, I'll say his predetermined word and he'll schedule a private meeting with us for tomorrow. At least, that's what I'm hoping to achieve. We need to step up the pace." He quickened his feet and she followed suit with Louis bringing up the last. This also effectively stopped her questioning.

They couldn't have planned a better time to travel through the city. A few people were still moving about, but these usually hurried away or avoided their gaze. Overall, they avoided being seen and therefore avoided any form of detection.

"How are we getting in?" she asked, a little out of breath.

"We approach the front gates, of course," Louis said quietly. "No sneaking for us. We're going to be watched every minute now that we're here."

"I'm not in danger of being discovered am I?"

"Not if you keep your disguise on," Zayn chimed in.

They got closer to the castle and Kalysta felt all her fears compound. This was happening. She was going to go before King Harry and give her plea. His decision would spell either her salvation or her doom.

As they approached the main gates they heard a voice call, "What's your business here so late?"

"Ambassador Zayn of Mullingar after a bloody long journey, so if you'd kindly open up we'd like to actually accomplish the purpose we traveled here for." Zayn's voice came out harsh and demanding, nothing like what she'd grown accustomed to. Metaphorical masks were back on.

The main doors opened and a man stood inside waiting.

"This way, Ambassador and guests," he said. "I am His Majesty's man, George. May I ask as to the purpose of your visit?" He gestured for them to enter, motioning for the doors to be closed by two guards.

"There have been more developments in the negotiations with other countries and my father would like to assure himself as to whether or not your king stands on the right side," Zayn answered loftily, the threat clear.

The man, George, stiffened at the underlying tone and stepped forward, leading the way further into the castle.

"I'm sure His Majesty will be able to make his position clear."

The rest of the walk was made in tense silence. Kalysta grew more anxious as they continued, but kept her face blank. They were passing mostly guards and servants, both of which gave their group a wide berth. She could feel their stares as she went by, and the worry on their faces was clear when she dared to allow her gaze to wander. They knew who the Ambassador was and they were scared of him.

In the Shadows~zayn au~Completed ✅EDITINGजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें