~Chapter 44: Appropriate Titles~

Soooooooo it says it's been at least 19 days since I updated and that is WAY too long. It's been a busy couple of weeks. I've been out of town, had family in town, WENT TO MY FIRST ONE DIRECTION CONCERT. Etc.

I was meant to dedicate this to someone, but I will confess that I've forgotten who that was in the passing days. I'm SOORRRYY!! However, I would like to thank you all becaaaauussseee..... IN THE SHADOWS HAS OVER 1,000 VOTES and that's just straight up pscyho to me!!!!! Psycho in a good way. How will I repay you, you may ask? Well... This chapter is a bit of a surprise for you, because things take a turn for the better and then the next chapter?? Um... you'll see when you get there. The next chapter should be thanks enough, we'll just say that. I'm still blushing from writing it, not gonna lie. Not sure how I feel about it either.

ANYWAY! Sorry for the long, kind of useless rant.

SMILING, CRINKLY-EYED LIAM AT THE TOP BECAUSE HE'S JUST PRECIOUS!! And that's in this chapter as well. =J

RECAP: She lowered her head, showing obeisance, and hoping that it was enough. Once more, she was at the mercy of a king.

What was it about kings that they insisted on being silent to increase suspense? King Liam was practicing the same tactic Harry had, staying quiet after she had finished, and thus giving her ample time to fret over the meaning of it.

"Have you spoken to the other rulers, Princess?" the King asked, surprising her with a direct address again. It was not as common in Wolvecaster for a woman to be given equal status. Then his words sank in.

"We've spoken with King Harry," she answered, her hopes sinking lower than they were.

"And what did he have to say?"

"He expressed that he is unwilling to openly support any resistance against Murdoch at this time." She sighed, feeling doomed before he ever responded.

"Why would I expose my brother and myself then, if arguably the most financially powerful nation refuses? That would display a marked lack of self-preservation." His tone was almost condescending and she responded in kind.

"Because it's the right thing to do!" she snapped, meeting his gaze unashamedly and giving him the full weight of her ire and desperation. "Live up to your title! How can you call yourself 'The Just' when you allow a power-hungry animal to swallow up smaller nations in a span of years and make no move to stop it?"

"Nations rise and fall, Princess," he taunted, clearly feeding off her anger. "It's the way of things."

"And this way of things will see your nation reduced to rubble and your people wiped out. I suggest you change your name, oh Just One." Everything about her sneered when she said it. "Perhaps Liam the Pathetic Observer would be a title better suited to your inactivity." She was still kneeling, but considered standing as her entire obeisant manner was ruined with her words.

To say King Liam was surprised was an understatement. At first, she thought she'd truly pushed him over the edge. His lips tightened and his eyes narrowed and he considered her for another moment that felt as if it stretched for an eternity.

Then, he burst into laughter, a genuine eye-crinkling smile splitting his face and making him look as young as she. It was so opposite of what she expected that her jaw actually dropped and she stared at him. Instead of sitting ramrod straight on his throne, as he had been, he leaned back a bit and laughed harder.

"Oh, Princess, now I understand how you bullied these two into bringing you here," he joked. "I don't believe anyone has ever spoken to me that way before, especially not a woman. You are intriguing to say the least."