~Chapter 1: An Imminent War~

A/N: All the boys are going to show up, don't worry. They just take their sweet time doing it. 😉 Read, enjoy (hopefully), leave comments with feedback/questions. I finished writing this in 2016 but I still reply to every comment I can ❤️ love you all so much!

February 15th, 1651

"My child, I've received news!" King Jonathan said, rushing into her sitting room, a paper crumpled in his hand. "Ambassador Zayn of Mullingar arrives soon to begin the negotiations! King Murdoch is making his move. He wants our Elysium for his own and it's going to take all your skills and mine to keep it out of his hands completely. I'm not even sure how we'll do that."

"It's just like those pompous Mullingan royals to interrupt my birthday party with their greed," Kalysta scoffed, poking a hairpin back into place. Her maid was still putting the finishing touches on her appearance. It wasn't every year that she turned eighteen.

"I know you're still getting ready; I'm sorry for interrupting." His agitation was contagious, though. He wrung his hands and paced a line near the door.

"I'd tell you not to worry, Papa, but that's like telling the sun not to shine," she sighed. "Do try not to, though. We knew this time would come. Honestly, I'm surprised they've waited this long. There are still options we can consider."

"Tell me one of those options doesn't involve marrying Niall," her father grimaced. "I would give up much in Elysium before I allowed your marriage to that monster in the guise of a Prince."

"I'll do what's necessary," she said, turning to look at him fully, "as you have done, always for the good of the people." As she looked at him, he gave a sheepish grin and some of the agitation left his body. She turned back to her mirror. "I still think it would be good to speak with King Naseer of Bradford. He's been a good friend to you and he'd have good insight since he's been under Murdoch's leadership for so long."

He was silent.

"Now in concern to this ambassador," she continued, wincing as one of the hairpins pinched her scalp. "Do be careful, Delia," she said to the woman getting her ready.

"I'm trying," the woman whispered back. "If you'd keep your hair in better shape between parties then it wouldn't be so difficult when the time came to arrange it!"

Kalysta rolled her eyes. "Papa, have we learned anything more about the Ambassador? He can't have been involved in many treaties. Dalitrise has been quiet these days. Do we have any idea how he operates? Is he fair? Persuadable? What are we looking at?"

"His personal life is an open book as far as my knowledge runs," her father supplied, jumping in quickly. "King Murdoch's bastard son with a Bradian woman, acknowledged unlike some other bastards I've heard of, older than Crown Prince Niall. As far as politics, he is said to be the most just out of the family. Perhaps Murdoch's madness skipped him. He's still considered cutthroat, completely devoted to Mullingar. He does not claim Bradford as home; all is given to Mullingar in that regard."

"How is his relationship with his half-brother?"

"Prince Niall and the ambassador are close in the public eye," her father answered, "but behind closed doors could be entirely different. I'm not confident in the information the spies have passed along lately. King Murdoch is suspicious by nature and I think he's passing various incorrect stories out in an attempt to discover subterfuge."

"So we're going into this blind?" she sighed. "We have no idea how zealously he'll treat the situation?"

"I guess mostly blind," he winced. "We know these little details and we will learn much more once we have him under our roof. With our servants listening in, we can really get a grasp of his habits and weaknesses."

"I suppose we'll have to work with it; we don't have another option," Kalysta sighed.

"Dear, we'll take care of that a bit later," he conceded, stepping over to rest a hand on her shoulder. "I don't intend to let this ruin your birthday today. I shouldn't have brought it up."

"No, I'm glad you did," she pressed. "I'll have more birthdays. The country comes before such frivolity."

He gave her a pained look. "You've grown up too quickly, in my opinion. It's the one part of your education that I regret. You've long felt the weight of this nation before you even became an adult. I wish I would have allowed you more time to be a child."

Kalysta patted his hand where it rested on her shoulder. "I don't regret the way you raised me. I am to be the heir and that is what an heir to the throne must do."

"Ah, but I am sorry nevertheless."

"Don't be." She rose from her chair and turned to face him again. "I feel no ill will toward you or mother for the way I was raised." She leaned in to kiss his cheek. "I love this country as you do and I will do all I can to accomplish its endurance for centuries to come. We cannot risk a war with Mullingar and Bradford so we will do our best to help our people."

He smiled gently. "You look lovely, my child. Is she ready?" he asked Delia.

"I think she looks suitable enough," the maid replied with a soft smile.

"Very good! We're off then! Royal Banquet, here we come!"

AN: PLEASE let me know how you feel about it! Comments and opinions are like food, necessary and nourishing!

#stayexcellent ~Kari~