~Chapter 71: In Opposition~

Hey everyone! Okay, before I say anything else, I want to apologize for the last chapter. It was sh!t and I admit that. I'm so sorry. The sentence structure was jacked up, the dialogue was whack. I just don't know what happened. Regardless, I'm not satisfied with it and it's under extensive editing. 

I hope this makes up for it, though. I miss Zayn when he's not in chapters, just as much as you do (if not more so), so I did some parring down that way I could get him back in quickly, aaaand guess what? ZAYN COMES BACK IN THIS CHAPTER!! You're welcome. 

Also, sexy, brooding (younger) Zayn for your enjoyment

Now remember, Kalysta just got done with confrontation with her father....

Kalysta strode into the council chambers where the meeting had been held up by her father's abrupt departure. The looks on the council members' faces as she entered were laughable. Their mouths gaped and more than one made gasping, stuttering noises.

"P-Princess! You're well?!" one called.

Others joined in, asking after her health and expressing delight at being able to see her.

She moved to the vacant head chair before answering.

"I thank you for your well-wishes and thoughts in my time of illness," she said. "As you can see, I have lost weight in its clutches and some of the herbs given to help me recover have tinged my skin." Several of the more medically knowledgeable council members nodded in understanding. "I am recovered, however, and with that in mind, would like to continue where my father left off with his negotiations."

They all looked surprised, but pleased with her action.

"I fear for where my absence has left us politically," she admitted next. "If the Ambassador of Mullingar has alerted King Murdoch as to what is going on, then they may believe marital acquisition to be impossible. Therefore, I believe we should bring the Ambassador back as quickly as possible to finish outlining the marriage treaty. My father agrees, but my bout of sickness has left him with an ill constitution toward my marriage to Prince Niall, so he has chosen to leave the dealings to me. I know my father's mind and I am capable of making the best decision for Elysium without giving ourselves wholly to Mullingar. He does not wish to be directly involved in the treaty-making process and in light of his withdrawal I hope I can count on the expertise and wisdom of this council." The flattery would have to distract them from the poorly-formed excuse for her father's lack of participation.

It worked.

"Princess," a council-man, Duke Crothers, voiced, "I speak for us all when I extend our joy at knowing you have recovered and say that we will help in any way possible. It takes great dedication and sacrifice to do as you are and it's a credit to your name. We look forward to working with you toward the safety and stability of this nation."

Kalysta was touched by the sentiment, but also couldn't help thinking that this man had no idea just how much she was giving up. But she shook herself from that line of thought. She couldn't allow anything to distract her now.

"I am immensely grateful," she responded, allowing a bit of emotion into her voice to fit the situation. "Without further ado, I would like to get down to business. I've been informed that the Ambassador of Mullingar has left to places unknown. Is that correct? There's been no word of where he is?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Council-woman Mary answered. "He left shortly after he discovered you were so ill. This was following an argument with your father, of course."

"I would assume he still wants this union to succeed and to prevent political strife, so let us see if we can find him again." She pretended to think for a moment. "If I recall correctly, the Ambassador is a greedy man who enjoys his pleasures. He will be somewhere, then, that he is treated with the respect he believes he deserves. I propose that we send emissaries to the different capitols, seeking him out. We can have them carrying a message explaining that marriage is still an option to prevent hostilities. There's a hope he hasn't discouraged Murdoch's interest in diplomacy." She looked about her at each face, gauging their reactions. Several were nodding in agreement.