~Chapter 35: Travel Troubles~

Okaaaaaay!! I know it's been at least 3 weeks since I last updated and I'm sooorrry!! I'd give excuses, but you guys prob don't care. You just like that I'm updating, right? ;)

Anyway, this one is dedicated to shalini-bhattacharya because she definitely voted on another of my stories! #allthelove and thank you so much!

I'd also like to put a word in about Nialls_obsession and MadOverMalik for commenting on the last chapter! Can't thank you enough!

Another person is LaylaMonfradini, who I've been teasing with rumors of an update for weeks now. She's a good sport.

This is what we call a "transition" chapter and took me much longer than it should have to write. I cut out a lot of detail and sped up the process because I REALLY want to get to the next big portion of the book that I had already written and was dying to share with you guys. xoxo

The clothing given to Kalysta was loose-fitting to complete her masculine look, but it was obviously well-designed, fitting for an ambassador's entourage member. Beatrice had even taken the time to pin her hair up under the hat more securely. New sturdy leather boots completed the look and she felt completely different.

"It's the best I can do with the time I was given," the woman sighed. Despite the work, she didn't seem satisfied.

They stepped out of the back room and Kalysta took in the two men as they talked with the other seamstresses. Beatrice had called the other seamstresses "girls", but they looked to be older than Kalysta, more around the men's ages actually. The women laughed at something Louis said and were fiddling with the men's new clothes, apparently creating excuses to put hands all over them. The men's clothing was also well-made. Zayn sported a crisp white shirt, new black trousers, a red overcoat, and his same boots. Louis wore some semblance of the same thing in green.

Kalysta wanted to talk, but stayed silent, remembering that Beatrice had placed her accent immediately.

The girls looked at her and looked away, thinking her a young boy. Beatrice had done well.

"Alright, girls, the Ambassador needs to go," Beatrice said. The two women moped, but released them.

Louis went to Beatrice unashamedly, pulling her close and kissing her deeply. Again, Kalysta looked away, wondering how often this was going to happen. Beatrice seemed fine with him now, forgetting her earlier anger. It was a bit ridiculous that a man could get away with things just with a bit of attention.

Zayn dropped some gold on the counter and gestured to Kalysta to follow him. She did, stepping out the door.

Her stomach rumbled.

"We'll get something to eat at the King's Grace." Zayn's quick assurance was comforting. "Then we'll be away. Mahir will definitely have the horses. He's probably off dicing now to get more coin."

"They have gambling here?" Kalysta was surprised. "I didn't think that would occur somewhere so religious."

"Of course, it's outlawed, but it's one of the few things that has survived the purge," Louis commented as he exited the shop, "that and alcohol."

"Is it not enforced?"

"Harry knows he'd be fighting a losing battle in that regard." Zayn started walking back toward the King's Grace. "He enforces what he can. If people are blatant about gambling or drinking in front of the guards or soldiers then it's punished, but people know better."

Kalysta walked for a moment silently, listening to the jingle of Starling's harness as he trod behind her. "It seems such a strange way to lead, willful ignorance."

"It's worked for them so far," Louis echoed his earlier comment.

Mahir was waiting for them when they reached the inn, with three horses on leads. "Took you long enough." He looked a bit bored.

"These were the best you could find?" Zayn sounded disappointed.

"There wasn't much to choose from!" Mahir complained. "They'll do! I'm sure they can keep up."

"We'll make do," Zayn conceded, sighing. "Thank you. Please arrange the horses in the inn's stable and join us inside. We're going to get at least one hot meal before we head to the Royal City."

Mahir nodded taking Starling's reins and leading the horses away.

Zayn turned and entered the inn, Louis and Kalysta following.

It was a well-built inn. The outside had made it look dingy, but the inside was much more hospitable, relatively clean.

"My name is Felicity and I run the King's Grace with my husband." A tall woman bustled up, wiping her hands on an apron. "How may I help you gentlemen? Do you need rooms?" The disguise Beatrice had done on her was good if this woman's address was anything to go by.

"No thank you, madam, we were simply in search of a good repast before continuing our journey," Zayn answered, adopting his polite voice.

"Very well, I'll seat you." She took them to a table in the corner. "Today it is vegetable soup, fresh bread and fruit on the menu."

"We'll take four servings," Zayn said. "Another of my men will be joining us."

"Of course. I'll have it right out."

They ate quickly and without incident. Kalysta wished she could savor it more, particularly following her bout with the mal-de-mer, but she knew they needed to leave quickly and start toward the Royal City of Quintus.

They procured food and supplies from Felicity and were on their way within the next hour.

— — — — — — — — —

The trip turned out much like the one with Louis to Westtown. However, they walked when not riding instead of running. Their pace was brisk, but not unmanageable, of which Kalysta was thankful. As well, she could truly sense how different the horses were. When the other horses grew tired Starling was still full of energy, so they were forced to slow and walk the horses more often.

The land they passed changed the farther they got from the coast, hills jutting up and trees breaking the horizon.

Several hours later, when the sun had gone down, Zayn called for a stop just outside a copse of trees. "We'll eat and rest for a bit," he said. "Uncinch the saddles a bit, but don't remove them completely. We'll be getting an early start in the morning and the horses can get a full rest in Quintus."

Kalysta did as the others, seeing to Starling's saddle and giving him food. She grabbed a blanket Zayn had provided and curled up on the ground, half forgetting what a real bed was like. Despite the tree root sticking into her back, she passed into a deep sleep quickly.

— — — — — —

It seemed like five minutes later when Zayn shook her awake. "It's time, Princess," he said, standing back up straight.

The sun was barely rising and Kalysta couldn't believe how tired she still felt. She joined the others in fixing up the saddles and then they all climbed rode to the southwest, the sun rising behind them. The rest of the day was a blur of galloping, eating while leading the horses, and fighting the drooping of her eyelids.

— — — —

They finally arrived in Quintus as night was falling again. Even in the night, Kalysta could see that it was spectacularly built and organized.

Zayn led them to an inn on the outskirts of the city called the Acolyte.

"What's the plan from here?" Kalysta asked as they got the horse's settled at the inn's stable. She was loath to leave Starling in someone else's hands for too long, but Zayn had assured her that the horse would be fine.

"We go before the King now," he said.

A/N: Yaaaay for double updates! Dun dun dun! Guess what's in the next chapter? King Harry is in the next chapter. And some BIG developments. ;) It's gonna be great!