13

Chapter 13 | Seeing Red
[Y/N]

Red. That's the colour I saw. After hanging up the phone, I bolted out of the apartment. I could hear Hyojung and Seunghee calling out after me, but I needed to let out steam and finally let the detectives know.

As soon as I got to the station, I made a b-line to Jimin and Namjoon's desk. They looked up at me. Their emotions were clear. At first, they were confused but worry quickly took over when they saw how mad I was. I wasn't even trying to hide my anger. The whole city could know that I was pissed for all I care.

"Can I talk to you?" I managed to say through my clenched jaw. "Privately?"

They took a moment to look at each other before firmly nodding. They led me to a small interrogation room.

"This is a soundproof room. Hybrids standing right outside this door won't be able to hear our conversation," Namjoon explained to me. It helped me calm down just a little bit. "Now, what's wrong? Why are you so angry?"

As Namjoon began asking me questions, Jimin led me to a chair. I sat down and Jimin sat next to me, putting his own hand on top of mine. He was trying to calm me down and it did work, slightly. Namjoon took a seat across from me.

"Yesterday, I was coming home after a day out and enjoying my freedom when I saw a car that looked like a cliche bad guy car. It was black and the windows were all tinted and it was parked on the side of the street that didn't allow parking. I got this really bad feeling about the car, so I went up to the guy and I told him to get lost and, you know, he did end up leaving but I still had this really weird feeling," I began the story, slightly rambling but I needed to get everything out of my system. 

"When I got back to the apartment, I noticed that Seunghee wasn't sitting in her usual place. Which was super weird, because ever since she came to live with us, I've noticed that she likes order and consistency. I was all worried because I saw the bad guy car, and thought that something bad had happened because I couldn't see the inside of the car. I went through the entire house looking for her. I ended up finding her in Hyojung unnie's bedroom but she was in her animal state. And I know that she only shifts into her animal state when she's nervous or anxious.

"So I, naturally, put two and two together and knew that the guy who was sitting in the bad guy car must have triggered Seunghee." I took a big gulp of air. "So then I asked one of my friends, to run the license plate number. He got back to me this morning, and the motherfucker that was driving the car was Kim fucking Hyun."

"Wait, you asked a friend to run a license plate number for you?" Jimin asked, in a slightly amused tone. "You know that evidence won't be admissible in court because you hacked your way to the information, right?"

"Yeah, I know that. But I'm not asking you to use the information in court. That's not the point I'm trying to make. The point is that I know Kim Hyun is a part of a bigger conspiracy," I said with a sigh.

"Who's Kim Hyun?" Namjoon asked.

"The reason why I went to jail," I said with a snarl. "About 15? 16? Anyways, a few months ago, he was trying to kidnap a Hybrid when I happened upon the scene. I got so mad I started punching him and he almost died."

I could feel my anger rising up once more as I thought about the day I nearly killed the Human. Maybe Jimin could feel or sense my growing anger, as he gripped my hand tighter which sent a wave of calmness over me.

"There were two Hybrids there. I didn't know who the target was or if the people in the black clothes were trying to kidnap both of them, but all I know is that Kim Hyun was the name of the person I almost killed," I said with a clenched jaw. "He couldn't even show up to my court because he was still being treated in the hospital. I'm sure that he doesn't know my name or where I live. But isn't it strange? I come across a scene where Kim Hyun and his goonies are trying to kidnap a Hybrid. Seunghee escapes from her capture, a few weeks later Kim Hyun happens to be right outside of our apartment and Seunghee gets triggered?"

"That is strange," Jimin nodded, agreeing with me.

"His name is Kim Hyun?" Namjoon asked, confirming the name once more.

I nodded.

"Did Seunghee-ssi mention anything about the period when she was captured?" Namjoon asked me.

"No. I think it'll take a lot of time and therapy before she's going to be able to speak about what she went through and the people involved," I said with a sigh.

I felt bad for the young Bunny Hybrid. She had to go through so many horrors at such a young age. 

Then I let out a big breath, one that I didn't even know I was holding. "That felt good. I was so pissed this morning. But after that rant, I feel lighter," I said with a smile. Jimin chuckled and shook his head. "Is Sihyuk ajussi here?"

"Yeah, he should be in his office," Namjoon told me, but it looked like his thoughts were elsewhere.

"Why do you need the Chief?" Jimin asked me.

"I'm hungry," I said with a shrug. "Did he already eat?"

"Not that I know of," Jimin responded as he laughed.

"Great, I could go for Chinese food right about now," I said with a smile. "Oh," I turned to Namjoon. "Can you tell me where you found Seunghee?"

"Why?" Namjoon looked at me with his eyebrows raised.

"No reason," I said with a sly smile.

"No," Namjoon said firmly.

I pouted at him. "You, sir, are no fun," I said with a frown.

[Namjoon]

"You, sir, are no fun," you said with a frown. Namjoon didn't even bother to fight back the smile that crept its way onto his face.

With a dramatic huff, you left the room. Knowing that Namjoon and Jimin needed to talk about the new information you gave them about the case. When the door closed behind you, Namjoon turned to Jimin.

"If this Kim Hyun knows where Seunghee-ssi is, that means that not only her but Hyojung-ssi and Y/N-ie are in danger," Jimin said furrowing his brows together.

Namjoon nodded in agreement. "I think we'll need to speak to the Hybrids that were present in Y/N-ie's case."

"We should also look into this Kim Hyun," Jimin piped up. "And also Y/N-ie's case, as well."

The two detectives didn't even doubt your information. From the few weeks they got to know you, one thing was constant: you never lied. If you had to, it was obvious or you would word it differently so that you would have to lie as little as possible.

Jimin was a little conflicted. He already had his mates but when he held your hand, he just couldn't help but notice how perfectly your hand seemed to fit his. He didn't let go because he was comforting you but at the same time, he didn't want to let go. He didn't know why he was feeling like this, he was hoping that Namjoon would be able to explain why he's feeling this way to a person who is not his mate.

"Maybe we could have a protective order for them," Jimin suggested.

Namjoon nodded. "I'll talk to Chief Bang about it. He'll probably agree if it has to do with protecting Y/N-ie."

If there was one thing that the detectives knew it was that they were going to keep you safe. They would protect you with their lives.

☆