36

Chapter 36 | The Day of the Escape

The silence was deafening. Seunghee's leg was bouncing up and down at a very fast pace. Her eyes were locked onto the ground in front of her. She was deep in her head while Hyojung watched nervously.

"Please," Jimin pleaded in a quiet voice as to not frighten the Bunny Hybrid.

"Seunghee-ssi, you mentioned that you needed to free your sisters," Namjoon softly tried to coax Seunghee to relax.

At the mention of her sisters, Seunghee's head snapped up almost as if she remembered.

"My sisters," she whispered, a hint of remorse in her voice.

"That's right, we're trying to find them but we've come to a wall. We would never want you to re-live the terrible things you went through when you're not ready. I'm sure Y/N-ie would kill us before we were able to," Namjoon continued in his soft voice. Seunghee lightly giggled at the mention of your name. "But we needed more information and you're the only Hybrid that escaped. Can you help us find your sisters?"

"I don't remember much," Seunghee said slightly shifting in her seat.

"That's fine," Jimin assured her.

Seunghee nodded and Hyojung held her hand to give the young Bunny some comfort and strength.

"I-I don't remember their faces too well," Seunghee admitted. "All I know is that there was a Tiger Hybrid and a Leopard Hybrid. They were the ones who came down most often."

"Do you know their name?" Namjoon asked.

"Uh, no," Seunghee said sadly as her ears flopped down.

"It's alright," Jimin said with a smile.

"Um... I remember being in a cage. My sisters and I were in a cage," Seunghee continued to recount. "But there were other cages too."

"How did you escape?" Jimin asked.

"M-Mimi unnie. She wanted me to escape so she had me shift into my animal form. When I did, she shifted into her animal form and began attacking the human guards when they opened our cage," Seunghee said as she shivered at the thought of that night. "The others covered me so that I could escape through the vents. I-I don't know if Mimi unnie's alright." Tears started falling from Seunghee's eyes.

"Do you know what type of Hybrid, Mimi-ssi was?" Namjoon asked, slightly wincing at the idea that a total of 113 Hybrid bones were found in the mass grave. The others in the department were working on getting DNA to at least identify the Hybrids.

"She was a Cat Hybrid. A Bengal Cat," Seunghee said wiping her tears. "She's the fiercest member of our pack. She always fought to keep us safe."

"I'm sure Mimi-ssi's fine," Jimin said, trying his best to sound confident. There were a fair amount of Cat Hybrid bones that were found, as they were one of the most common types of Hybrids out there.

Seunghee nodded with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. It was as if she couldn't believe Jimin.

"Do you know in which direction you ran?" Namjoon asked, changing the topic.

Seunghee shook her head. "I went in many directions after I got out of the facility."

"Alright, do you know how long you ran?" Namjoon asked once more.

Seunghee shook her head. "I-I'm sorry. I don't know."

"That's fine," Jimin said with a smile, showing that it really wasn't a problem.

Warning: character having PTSD

"This might be a little difficult for you to answer, so don't be pressured to answer it," Namjoon said. "What happened in this facility?"

Jimin and Namjoon could see that Seunghee immediately froze at the question. Her legs were no longer bouncing, it was as if she was frozen into a statue. Her eyes looked as if she was far away as if she was seeing something.

"Seunghee-ssi?" Jimin called softly. "Seunghee-ssi?"

"They injected me with something," Seunghee said, her eyes still far away but tears pooling in them.

Jimin and Namjoon looked at each other. "Do you know what it did?" Jimin asked.

"My ears..." Seunghee said as the tears began to fall like a waterfall. Then it seemed as if was going into a panic attack. "They hurt! Make it stop! Please! Stop!" The Bunny Hybrid began rocking back and forth gripping onto her ears. 

"Seunghee-ah!" Hyojung exclaimed as she hugged the shaking Seunghee, tears falling from Hyojung's own eyes. It was painful seeing how Seunghee was hurting. 

Hyojung began to rub Seunghee's back as she tried to get Seunghee out of whatever headspace she was in. Hyojung was whispering words of comfort trying to get Seunghee out of the state she was in. It was the first time Seunghee had reacted this way and Hyojung had no idea what to do. The only thing Hyojung could do was cry and she felt terrible.

It seemed like it was hours before Seunghee had become unconscious and it was only because her body was exhausted and shut down. Seunghee's eyes were closed and to anyone else, she looked like she was peacefully sleeping but there was still a large battle going on in her head.

Minho came into the seating room when he heard the commotion. When Seunghee had calmed, he carried Seunghee into Hyojung's room. The entire time, Hyojung was crying and unable to tear her eyes away from Seunghee.

"I'm so sorry Hyojung-ssi," Namjoon apologized. "We should have known that she might have PTSD."

Hyojung shook her head. "It's not your fault," Hyojung said wiping her tears away. "Even I didn't know that she would have this reaction." 

"I promise you Hyojung-ssi, we're going to find the people responsible and reunite Seunghee-ssi with her sisters," Jimin promised.

"Thank you," Hyojung said with a small smile.

Jimin and Namjoon bid Hyojung and Minho goodbye and went to their vehicle. Their steps were heavy. They had to sit in silence for a few minutes. They had overlooked the fact that Seunghee might be suffering from PTSD, it made them feel like a failure. But they learned an important fact: they were injecting something into the Hybrids.

"Chief Bang," Namjoon called the chief to inform him of what they learned. "Yes... it seems like they were being injected with something... I understand... I'll let him know... Thank you."

"Well?" Jimin asked.

"Well, he's going to have Jessi look into any substances that shouldn't be present in the bodies that weren't fully decayed," Namjoon said rubbing his face with his hands.

"We have to catch this guy, hyung," Jimin said with a new fire in his eyes.

"And we will," Namjoon said firmly taking hold of Jimin's hand. "But Chief Bang wants us to take a few days off. We've been too invested in this case. He also promised that Eunwoo would be the one to focus on the case while we're taking a few days off."

Jimin nodded. If there was one Hybrid he trusted, it was Eunwoo.

"Let's go," Namjoon said softly.

Jimin nodded as he started the car.

☆