The Dragon and the Wolf-Part 1

A/N This takes place moments after Y/N meets with The magister of Pentos Illyrio Mopatis and a month before the previous chapter, just to clear up any misconceptions 

298 AC, Free city of Pentos, Illyrio estate 

Y/N and Illyrio walked the neatly crafted layout of the Magister's home after he was washed, redressed of his bandages, and thrown into a comfortable cotton tunic and a pair of trousers. Two well-dressed slaves trailed them, their heads bowed as they followed. The discovery of slaves shocked Y/N. Pentos was meant to be a free city, but it didn't seem to be.

In only a few hours, Y/N had discovered the many limits that Magister Illyrio had set for him, as well as the rules and layouts of what Illyrio expected of him and what should not be tampered with. He went into great detail in each of his laws, making sure Y/N understood everything he needed to know, including the consequences if he ever went against them. It was a number, but not too much for Y/N to handle. When opposed to ruling as a Lord, this was a simple task. He took the time to research Magister Illyrio and his vast manse, despite having to listen to every word that came out of Illyrio's mouth.

"... it is best if you are discrete in these halls, you are a bodyguard, nothing else. Speak little and when in the presence of the Targaryen's, keep your eyes low and your tongue lower, especially around the King. We don't need him getting suspicious of who you are." Illyrio spoke quickly, ushering the both of them into a large room.

It was well decorated, the room's colours were similar to the rest of the manse Y/N had seen. Red and orange, a common theme he found. It had a large desk in the middle, parchment and open letters scattered all along the surface.

This must be his office. Y/N thought to himself

"I have informed my guest that you are a hired mercenary,ㅡseeing that you are well known for that line of workㅡyou are to be a guard for the Targaryen's, more specifically the princess," Illyrio said, walking over to his desk while his slaves shut the door behind both men, leaving them alone.

Y/N was taken back when Illyrio had informed him that the Targaryen's where his guest. He was housing them, guarding them, feeding and providing clothing and every possible needed. It took him not long to suspect Illyrio of supporting the Targaryen rein, there was no other explanation other than he wanted to use them for some sick joke.

There was no secret that some did still support the Targaryen's even after their tragic downfall, but knowing that the Starks, his family, was one of the reasons why the Targaryen's were defeated during Robert's Rebellion, it unsettled the wolf greatly. He understood why there were so many rules to conceal his true identity.

Sitting in a chair opposite Illyrio, Y/N tried his best not to disturb his side. Breathing was painful, let alone moving and walking, he was already feeling fatigued.

"You want meㅡa Stark, the reason her family is here in the first placeㅡto protect a Targaryen? Is your Unsullied not enough?"

"I'm afraid not. Viserys is convinced King Robert has sent hired knives. I want the King to have a comfortable stay while in my house. You are to be that comfort."

Y/N narrowed his eyes, doubting the man of his true intentions but said nothing.

This is for your home, for your family, don't screw it up Y/N, he reminded himself.