A Dragon and Wolf reunited

DRAGONSTONE - BEACH

A storm rages. Rain falls on the beach and the castle, lightning flashes, and thunder crackles overhead. DAENERYS TARGARYEN, TYRION LANNISTER, GREY WORM, MISSANDEI, and VARYS are standing in the Chamber of the Painted Table, staring out at the storm.

TYRION: On a night like this, you came into the world.

VARYS: I remember that storm. All the dogs in King's Landing howled through the night.

DAENERYS: I wish I could remember it.

DAENERYS turns away from the window and walks over to the table.

DAENERYS: I always thought this would be a homecoming. It doesn't feel like home.

TYRION: We won't stay on Dragonstone for long.

DAENERYS: Good.

DAENERYS looks at the figurines placed on the table

DAENERYS: Not so many lions.

VARYS: Cersei controls fewer than half the Seven Kingdoms. The lord of Westeros despise her. Even before your arrival, they plotted against her. Now...

DAENERYS: They cry out for their true queen? They drink secret toasts to my health?

DAENERYS walks closer to VARYS.

DAENERYS: People used to tell my brother that sort of thing, and he was stupid enough to believe them.

DAENERYS picks up a dragon figurine from the table.

DAENERYS: If Viserys had three dragons and an army at his back, he'd have invaded King's Landing already.

TYRION: Conquering Westeros would be easy for you. But you're not here to be queen of the ashes.

DAENERYS: No.

DAENERYS puts down the dragon figurine.

TYRION: We can take the Seven Kingdoms without turning it into a slaughterhouse. If the great houses support your claim against Cersei, the game is won. With the Tyrell army and the Dornish on our side, we have powerful allies in the south.

DAENERYS looks at VARYS.

DAENERYS: I never properly thanked you for that.

VARYS: They joined our side, my queen, because they believe in you.

DAENERYS: You served my father, didn't you, Lord Varys?

VARYS: I did.

DAENERYS: And then you served the man who overthrew him?

VARYS: I had a choice, Your Grace--serve Robert Baratheon or face the headman's axe.

DAENERYS: But you didn't serve him long. You turned against him.

VARYS: Robert was an improvement on your father, to be sure. There have been few rulers in history as cruel as the Mad King. Robert was neither mad nor cruel. He simply had no interest in being king.

DAENERYS: So you took it upon yourself to find a better one.

TYRION: Your Grace, when I was ready to drink myself into a small coffin, Lord Varys told me about a queen in the east who--

DAENERYS (to VARYS): Before I came to power, you favored my brother. All your spies, your little birds, did they tell you Viserys was cruel, stupid, and weak? Would those qualities have made for a good king in your learned opinion?

VARYS: Until your marriage to Khal Drogo, Your Grace, I knew nothing about you, save your existence and that you were said to be beautiful.

DAENERYS: So you and your friends traded me like a prized horse to the Dothraki.

VARYS: Which you turned to your advantage.

DAENERYS: Who gave the order to kill me?

VARYS: King Robert.

DAENERYS: Who hired the assassins?

DAENERYS walks closer to VARYS.

Daenerys; You also used Y/N family so he would protect me and my brother.

Varys: And did I not keep my word he now lives in Winterfell and has a nephew and his 2 brothers and sister.

DAENERYS: Who sent word to Essos to murder Daenerys Targaryen?

VARYS: Your Grace, I did what had to be done to--

DAENERYS: To keep yourself alive.

TYRION: Lord Varys has proven himself a loyal servant.

DAENERYS: Proven himself loyal? Quite the opposite. If he dislikes one monarch, he conspires to crown the next one. What king of a servant is that?

VARYS: The kind the realm needs. Incompetence should not be rewarded with blind loyalty. As long as I have my eyes, I'll use them. I wasn't born into a great house. I came from nothing. I was sold as a slave and carved up as an offering. When I was a child, I lived in alleys, gutters, abandoned houses. You wish to know where my true loyalties lie? Not with any king or queen, but with the people. The people who suffer under despots and prosper under just rule. The people whose hearts you aim to win. If you demand blind allegiance, I respect your wishes. Grey Worm can behead me or your dragons can devour me. But if you let me live, I will serve you well. I will dedicate myself to seeing you on the Iron Throne because I choose you. Because I know the people have no better chance than you.

DAENERYS: Swear this to me, Varys. If you ever think I'm failing the people, you won't conspire behind my back. You'll look me in the eye as you have done today, and you'll tell me how I'm failing them.

VARYS: I swear it, my queen.

DAENERYS: And I swear this--if you ever betray me, I'll burn you alive.

VARYS smiles.

VARYS: I would expect nothing less from the Mother of Dragons.

GREY WORM: Forgive me, my queen. A red priestess from As'shai has come to see you.