chapter twenty-three

"𝚂he was tired of feeling pain and having no soul

"𝚂he was tired of feeling pain and having no soul. All she wanted was a safe harbor to go"

- Ally M. (yes, I wrote that ;)

✥ ✥ ✥

THREE DAYS TAKE AN ETERNITY TO PASS BY and in every single one, I cry myself to sleep.

Visiting Sammy after school is like routine by now and it may sound foolish, but somehow each time I see his baby face, I feel like I'm losing a part of him.

He's growing too fast and I'm missing it.

What makes me finally close my eyes after uncountable tears is the fact that Samuel is much better this way.

The pain will pass when I finally finish school and get a place for us.

It feels like it will take a lifetime.

I've also isolated myself from everyone, including the people who have helped me the most, Kayla and Damien. I truly had to take a break, but I couldn't shake away the bad feeling that took place in my heart the minute I did that. The only words that I've exchanged with the bad boy were 'thank you' because I don't think it will ever be enough to show how grateful I am.

Now, I'm seated in front of the dark wooded writing desk that takes place in the same room I slept in the day when Tom took my brother.

It has become my new home yet; I haven't unpacked my things. The two pieces of luggage that I brought are open on the floor next to me, and I swallow hard when a flashback from my dad's gaze crosses my mind.

On the same day that Damien offered me to stay with his family, I went to gather all my important belongings. I demanded that the bad boy stood inside his car, despite the way my stomach twisted in fear, and made my way to my house.

Tom was in his room and the moment I left my old bedroom, my heart tightening to leave it all behind, he opened his door.

His blurry and red eyes burned on me and I felt the air stuck in the back of my throat. His left cheek was swallowed and bruised, and a semi-healed cut took place in his upper lip. It took me a moment to realize that those were the consequences of Damien's punches, and I swallowed hard when the thought that those weren't nearly enough of what Tom deserved passed through my mind.

"Adelina." The way the words left his mouth was my confirmation of how drunk he was, and he was short and direct.

"Tom."

I didn't wait for him to have the chance to say anything else. With one deep breath, I headed towards the stairs with two suitcases in hand, feeling the bile from my stomach in the back of my throat.

"Run the fuck away, Lina, like the little slut you are. But don't expect me to take you back once you leave that door." Tom screamed from behind my back, pure acid in his voice tone, before I could even take the first step downstairs.