chapter four

"Every night she had thoughts that weighed on her soul but every morning she would get up to fight another day, every night she survived"

-r.h sin

✥ ✥ ✥

AFTER YESTERDAY'S SHOCKING moment at the cemetery, I didn't have to cook for Sammy or take care of his bruises like I always had to. All I did was put him to sleep.

Thankfully, my father was nowhere to be seen, though he was probably in a bar or worse, but at least he waited for me before leaving my brother alone at home. And now I was free.

I took some time for myself, something I hadn't had for quite a while now. A long bath was enough to make me more relaxed after everything that happened this week and what was going to happen later.

For the first time in months, I slept peacefully, not waking up at three o'clock worried that Samuel might have been taken away from me.

Today went incredibly fast. School went by quickly, which was a miracle. I stayed with Eric throughout the whole day, except for the classes we didn't share together.

He was almost recovered from yesterday. Almost.

My best friend shed a few tears today while at lunch, but I managed to cheer him up by talking about what was happening tonight. Chad's party.

He got excited at that exact moment, so it was worth it. But I also needed to call Bella before preparing the things I would need to sleep at her house after school.

My plan is simple. Sammy would sleep at her house since she has a little sister, May, that likes to play with him.

I will sleep at her house because, well, I've known Bella since we were first-graders and my father can never know I went to a party.

I just had to count on the fact that my best friends won't get too drunk, so I could have a ride back to my best friend's house. Fingers crossed.

"Lili!" My brother calls me and runs to my bedroom, totally interrupting my thoughts.

He's carrying his light blue teddy bear in one hand and the little blanket matching it in the other one. His dinosaur pajamas complete the look.

Sammy looks like such a little kid to me that I almost forget he is seven years old.

"Should I take these to May's?" Sammy tilts his head to the right, doubts going through his mind while I just contain myself from squeezing his cheek. "What if she thinks I'm too little?"

What on earth happened to my brother? He's never slept without his blanket and bear. Never.

"Do you mean childish, Samuel?"

"Yeah, yeah, that's what I meant."

"Why? Do you want her to think you are a little man?" He blushes instantly and I can't help but laugh, amazed by how cute my brother can be. He sure is unique.