chapter eighteen

"The bravest thing she ever did was to stay alive each day"

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

THREE WEEKS HAVE PASSED since Damien saw me crying. He tried talking about it just one time after that day, but when I dodged his question, the bad boy eventually gave up.

He doesn't know, but I'm so thankful for that.

The training sessions were good, and I felt more prepared if my dad tried to hold me, despite that, every time Tom gets near, I tremble at his presence. There was only one hideous hit that happened within the last days, causing me to sob in my room at dawn.

A huge bruise covers my left arm from where he grabbed me when he made me look at the dinner that I had burned. I haven't been sleeping much and when he asked me to cook, hell broke loose.

Thanks to the cold and freezing weather of November, all I wear are long sleeves tops.

"You okay, Lina?" Bella's voice takes me back from my thoughts immediately and I stop looking outside to the oak trees that are shaking from the pouring rain, taking my attention back again to Bella and Eric seated next to me.

Lunch has been the only time that I've with them, and my heart breaks to the fact that I'm being negligent towards my best friends.

Still, today it's my mom's second year anniversary of death. My breath is becoming more and more frantic every minute that my mind takes me back to the memories I have with her, but I can't let them see what I'm going through, not when my friends are so happy and talking loudly.

"Sorry, I zoned out for a minute." I smile at them, a put up act, but they don't seem to notice when they both smile back. Bella's dark blonde hair is curled stopping above her shoulders and her pink off-shoulder crop top highlights her forest dark green eyes that are embellished by a nude eyeshadow.

She's looking absolutely stunning, like every other day, and our classmates direct a few looks to her as we are seated in the middle of the Cafeteria. Bella knows the power she holds.

Eric has a light atmosphere around him that instantly draws people in, his way of seeing life from a positive perspective being incredible. His dark green plaid sweater plays with the color of his electric blue eyes and as I analyze him, he shows me his tongue playfully.

I roll my eyes at him, trying to take my thoughts away from my mom, at least for a few seconds.

It is going to break me.

"So, tomorrow at Taco Bell's?" My best friend says before standing up, the sound of the bell ringing in my ears, and the boy next to me nods, a grin on his face. Eric loves going out, and that's clear.