chapter thirty-nine

"The broken hearts break hearts

"The broken hearts break hearts."

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

REVENGE.

It's the only thing I can think about as I look out of the window at a part of the city I've never been to before.

It's what has motivated me to get inside Jace's car, a reckless and impulsive act that if someone had asked me one week ago if I would do it, I would have called them crazy.

Yet, here I am.

I can't get relaxed, I keep taping my foot on the floor and tugging my nails on my palms. I try to look everywhere but the boy driving next to me. It's irrational.

"Cat got your tongue?" I roll my eyes under the dim light to the sarcastic question, thanking that it's dark and he can't watch me clearly. Jace is something else, someone I don't think I'll ever decipher and it terrifies me.

I have no idea where we are going or worse, what he's planning to do with the Stones.

My heart aches.

"I don't know how you can help me, Jace." He laughs, a deep one that reverberates through my entire body but I don't stop, "I just want to make Damien feel the same as I'm feeling now. I want his heart to be broken. Simple as that."

Now it's my turn to laugh, my idea sounds even more insane when saying it out loud. Perhaps, I'm going really insane, that's why.

"Sweetheart, you will be the one helping me. I have a plan, all you need to do is attract him to me." He stops abruptly after saying that, parking the car in front of a strange building and when I finally gather to courage to look at him, I notice his eyes becoming even darker with every word.

I gulp down not run as far as I can as I open the word, imitating his movements.

Jace would shoot me before I could take a step towards the street, it's his way of doing business.

Now, I can't back off. I made a deal with him. But that doesn't mean I have to be the quiet little girl I used to be, I will be myself with Jace Wright.

"Well, if you haven't noticed, he doesn't care about me anymore. You lost that opportunity hours ago," I tell him in front of the car, the wind chilling my skin but I'm lying to myself, "You never had that, to begin with, I was just a toy in his hands."

Gosh, it hurts too much to say that. I feel like crying all over again but I swallow down the pain, posing as the tough girl I am. I need to or else, I will collapse.