chapter five

"She's got such a good heart

"She's got such a good heart. She really does. It's just been broken too many times"

-Brunchteil

✥ ✥ ✥

"DAMN, YOU GUYS LOOK HOT," Eric yells at us, slapping my butt before I sit down in his car. I let out a genuine laugh, one that I don't have to fake because, for the first time in years, I'm actually having fun.

Sammy is safe and for now, I have nothing to worry about.

"Wouldn't you want to hook up with us?" Bella asks, a playful smile on her full lips.

My other best friend doesn't even think before answering. He simply shakes his head, telling us we aren't nearly as hot as Kayla Stone.

Bella shows him the middle finger while I just slap him playfully on his arm in return. He blows us a kiss before turning the engine on and getting on the road.

This is going to be a long night.

During the whole ride to Chadwick's party, we sing our favorite songs, talk about random stuff, and when there's a silent moment I go through all my plans in my head again.

Nothing can go wrong, Sammy's life is at stake. Even my own depends on Damien agreeing to help me.

We finally reach the house where the party is taking place. Luckily, there's a parking spot in front of Chadwick's house so Eric parks right there. We stop in front of a massive beige staircase surrounded by plants. My high heels will definitely give me some difficulty while going upstairs.

Just looking outside the window and hearing the loud music, my stomach already twists, and for one moment, I don't want to go. I try to breathe in and out but nothing works out.

This is it. I'm weak.

Bella wastes no time to get out when Eric turns the engine off. She quickly goes outside and my other best friend instantly follows her. They are just waiting for me to get out, so my best friend can lock the car.

Why can't I have a normal night like every teenager? Why doesn't this fear go away? My dad has left profound marks on me. The only ones I can't seem to forget.

I close my eyes. Sammy needs this. I need this.

"Let's go, Lina. What's taking so long?"

I'm Adelina Baker. I can do this for god's sake.

"Coming." I simply answer while gathering every inch of courage I have. I grab my purse and leave the car, the cold air outside hitting me and making my whole body shiver. The worst part of Albany is definitely its weather.

Don't forget to breathe.

The house is huge, Chadwick lives in a goddamn mansion. After going up the uncountable stairs, we stop in front of a black door with a middle made of glass. It matches the rest of the house which is black with some details in metal such as the modern doorknob. The house appears as if it came out of a magazine, making you open your mouth at how amazing it is.