chapter thirty-one

"And suddenly, she felt exhausted

"And suddenly, she felt exhausted. Like the world has drained her for everything she had finally conquered."

- via

✥ ✥ ✥

(TW)

"IT'S ERIC, LINA. HE-" Her cries are between loud hiccups and my mind is going a thousand miles per hour, creating every scenario to what might have happened, "I can't bring myself to finish these words."

"Tell me already, Bella!" I'm shaking, my hands trembling as I hold the phone against my ear and I can't see anything in front of me. I need to know he's okay. He has to be.

Breathe.

Breathe.

"This time, he succeed, Adelina." The moment I assimilate what she is saying, the air escapes my throat, and a strangulated cry leaves my lips.

I can't breathe.

I collapse on the floor, my knees sinking into the carpet, and Damien calls my name from behind while his hands try to support me, but I don't feel his touch, I feel nothing.

Tears roll down my cheek like a waterfall and I let out a scream while looking up between a blur when the realization of my friend's words sink in.

My best friend is dead.

We couldn't save him.

Gosh, it hurts. It's a stab in the heart.

"I'm on my way to his house." I don't know how I find my voice to continue talking to Bella, but I do. It leaves as a mumble through my trembling lips.

"You are probably drunk at some party and we don't need that kind of person right now. Come by tomorrow morning." With that, she hangs up, her voice tone harsh, but I don't care, the phone falling off my hand instantly. 

I can't move, my mind replays every single moment I had next to Eric.

I couldn't be there for him.

Sobs continue to erupt from my throat, tearing away all the air and I feel muscular hands lifting me up, carrying me somewhere in bridal style. It's all a blur, but I still try to fight back, kicking and hitting the boy's chest.

"Leave me alone!" My voice breaks as I yelp in pain, feeling like my heart is breaking. My tears soak the soft fabric against my cheek and still, the person doesn't let me go.