chapter forty-one

"You have a place in my heart no one else ever could have

"You have a place in my heart no one else ever could have."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

✥ ✥ ✥

(TW)

THE GUN'S RECOIL NEVER HAPPENS. I expect it. I firm my feet on the floor not to be thrown back, but the impact doesn't come because there was never a bullet to begin with.

I gasp, my hands shaking. Damien has his eyes on me the entire time, cursing when he realizes this was all a test and I failed.

Because I look at the boy, I recklessly pointed the gun, and it isn't him.

Jace has a cruel smile written on his lips with his gaze fixated on me and he steps closer, the barrel touching his forehead like it's nothing. I betrayed him and he was expecting that.

"Why?" I'm trembling, the tears streaming my cheeks now being completely out of fear and Damien tries to set himself free when his enemy pushes the gun down and takes it away from my hand, grasping my hair and making me yelp.

"You thought I wouldn't find out, Adelina? You thought I wouldn't know you and Scarlett have been working together to take me down?" He rasps against my ear and his gaze on me burns, I can only hear Damien cursing beside us. If I thought Jace was intimidating, now he's horrifying.

I have no idea what he is talking about.

"I know nothing, Jace, I swe-" The words die on my mouth when he turns us around to the door, my scalp burning with his touch, and I see Scarlett coming from it, being taken by her long locks through the floor by a big guy.

I feel the bile rise up from my throat when he lets her go harshly, coughs erupting from her throat painting the floor dark red, and Jace points to her.

More tears fall.

"Show them her face, Darren."

His guy grasps her hair again now angling it so her neck is exposed and her face is seen in the light. I close my eyes before she can stare at me, shaking my head but it's useless, Jace's voice soon comes in my ear.

"Look or I will force you." The minute I open my eyes as demanded and see what they did to her, I feel my insides twist. I need to run to an iron barrel left behind to empty my stomach. Jace purposely softens up the grip around me.

From one side of her face to the other, passing from her right cheek through her nose and forehead, a huge cut takes place, and dry blood sticks to it like someone burned the skin so it wouldn't even give the skin a chance to recover, undo the ugly marks.