chapter fifteen

"She wore a smile like a loaded gun"

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

AFTER WHAT IT FEELS LIKE HOURS of pain and agonized yelps coming from Damien, we finally reach a small abandoned house; the dark red bricks remind me of the warehouse that we left behind but now they are newer, the color still intact on the night and small windows take place. From the time we took to get here, we are no doubt far from Downtown.

No one would believe that a gang had a meeting spot right here and that's might be exactly why they chose it.

The moment we park in front of it, a guy around his thirties with grey hair and a wing tattooed on his neck, the weak light that turns on after the car has stopped giving me a clear view of him,  opens the door in a rush and takes Damien. 

I almost call him but my scream gets muffled by a girl's hand that probably opened the door behind me. She grabs me from behind and even though her grip isn't hurting, I try to fight back, nervous about this strange place. 

Despite my attempts, the girl manages to take me out of the car, and when I finally catch a glimpse of the girl's honey-blonde hair, my heartbeat calms down.

"Fuck, Kayla. Did you really have to do this?" I ask, annoyance clear in my voice tone, as she lets me go and I turn around to face her. 

She rolls her hazel eyes, a confident smile taking place but now from close, I can tell she has fought with tooth and nails against Jace's girl. Her bottom lip is cut and there is a bright red bruise on her right arm, similar to the ones I sometimes have. 

The thought about my dad makes my whole body shivers and Kayla probably thinks it's about the injury since she lets out an "I'm fine" right after.

If she only knew the truth.

"Besides, the other girl is looking much worse," she provokes and I throw my head in a laugh, trying so hard to allow myself to forget about my dad for one second. A chuckle comes from the bad boy's sister, "C'mon, let's go."

Kayla signs to the dark wooded doors that seem unused for a long time and we quickly walk together to the house. There's no one but us on the streets and I don't see Chad anywhere, ever since Kayla took me out from the car.  

He must be with Damien.

The thought of him makes my heartbeat go frantic, my mind panicking from the amount of blood but I take a deep breath, trying uselessly to reassure myself he is in safe hands.

We reach a dark hallway that leads to an old industrial elevator, exactly where we are going. Odd compared to the rest of the old house. 

Adrenaline is going through my whole body and my heart is frantic, a mixture of fear and excitement to wherever Kayla is taking me. She presses the basement button and soon we are going down.