chapter three

"She wears her painful present like wings- she has been going through hell and yet no one knows because she hides too well"

-Atticus (modified)

✥ ✥ ✥

I JUST WANT TO LEAVE. Run away even.

Click.

Anywhere but home at night. Anywhere but with my dad.

Click.

Why did I choose to sit in the back today?

Click.

Right on the day, the football captain decided to show up for class.

"Can you please stop tapping your pen on the table?" I turn around just to meet Brett Michelson's typical egocentric smirk. His plain light brown eyes flicker with delight at my annoyance.

In a million years, I never thought I would have the courage to complain about something to anyone.

Good girl. It's what they say about me. But I'm tired of it.

"What? Goody two-shoes is finally annoyed?" His voice is low, mocking me. This guy.

He has been bothering me since the junior year when I decided to try out for cheerleading. Let's just say it didn't go so well and now he bothers me with every chance he has. If I had written down the people I hate the most, he would be the first one.

Brett is also the one who makes fun of Eric. He is the bully that hurts my best friend when he has nothing to do.

All I do is roll my eyes and breathe in and out while laughter fills the air of the classroom.

The jock and his friends take the lead and everyone just rolls with it, but there is someone who doesn't laugh at all.

Kayla Stone. I always forget she is in my class.

She watches me carefully before she rolls her eyes, disagreeing with Brett. And he totally deserves it. I mentally thank her for that if she could only hear it.

Mrs. Easton doesn't lecture the jock or anything. She just shushes everyone and goes back to teaching Algebra 2. What a great teacher.

This is a class I like despite everyone complaining about how boring it is. But today I don't want to learn anything new about inequations or meet my dad's expectations of high grades.

I was almost late for today's second class. But my father would really hit me if I did.

After Eric's breakdown in the boy's bathroom, Bella took him to his class while I ran for life so I didn't get detention. And thank god no one noticed or walked in while my best friend and I were there or we would have gotten in a lot of trouble.