chapter eleven

"She wore a thousand faces, all to hide her own"

-Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

THE LOUD RING FROM MY PHONE makes me wake up in the exact heartbeat. As I blink my eyes open, all the pain from my aching neck and stinging cheek comes flushing and hits me hard. It's incredible how the bruises hurt much more after a while.

Despite my sleepiness and yet it's still two o'clock pm, I reach my phone quickly, and the name that appears on the screen is enough to make me stand up.

Kayla Stone.

Why the hell is she calling me?

"Hey, Kayla." My voice is suspicious still sleepy from the much-needed nap. Sammy wanted to sleep at our aunt's house so I left him there, not even bothering to say hi to her. Since Linda is Tom's sister, she will always take his side and just the apparent resemblance I have to my mom, who she never liked, is enough for her to hate me. When coming back to my home, I decided to sleep more.

I don't know why I'm sleeping this much but still, I need every ounce of energy I can get. I never know when Tom will hit me again.

"Hey Lina- oh god, sorry, Adelina." I let out a little laugh from her possible mistake. I know I need all the space I can get from Damien's family. They are dangerous and one step wrong with them is synonym to torture yet, I'm drawn to them.

God protects me. If I let Damien and Kayla in my life, I won't be able to go back.

"You can call me Lina. It's fine." I can't tell she's smiling on the other line but I say nothing. I let her pretend she's tough.

"I was thinking since you are practicing with my big bro, which is very odd may I add, that we could go shopping for clothes. You are becoming a bad girl, Lina. You need appropriate clothes for that."

Her invite out of nowhere catches me out of guard but I know that it would be good to get off this house. I don't care much about clothes but if Kayla is inviting me, who am I to say no?

"What do you mean by bad girl, Kayla?"

"You will see, I'm coming by your house to pick you in 10 minutes. Be ready." With a laugh, she turns off the call, leaving me with an anxious feeling that I can't shake away.

I quickly choose an outfit that it's practical for the mall yet not too simple for Kayla's taste. I don't know why but I want her to like me. I have lived in my bubble for too long and even after her brother died, Bella made tons of friends.