chapter twenty-one

"She wasn't born her, she found herself over a long and treacherous road and the more the treacherous the road became, the more of her she found

"She wasn't born her, she found herself over a long and treacherous road and the more the treacherous the road became, the more of her she found."

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

"PLEASE, LET ME IN!" I scream, desperation clear in my voice, as I punch uselessly the wooded door in front of me, feeling my heart in my mouth each hit I give it and each muffled cry I hear coming from inside the house.

I'm in my goddamn home and yet the door is locked even though I have the key. Tom probably put a chair under the doorknob, locking me outside, and the thoughts that are going through my mind make me sick.

Breathe.

I take my cellphone out of pocket with my trembling hands, only a particular name coming to my head to who I can call right now.

Breathe.

I curse for needing someone else before pressing the 'call' button but when it comes to Sammy, I swallow my pride. He needs to be okay, I'm gone with him if he's dead.

Breathe.

"Missed me already, Baker? I thought you would take much longer to reach me out." He mocks me through the phone, trying to hide how deeply is he hurt because of how I ignored him but there's no way I can think about that now.

Tears stream fast down my cheeks but I gather the last ounce of strength that I've left to talk to the boy on the other line.

"Can you come here? Please," I break at the end of the sentence, not being able to hold back the hiccups that threaten to make me absolutely lose it.

"Where?" His voice tone screams worries, changing from the acid intonation, and that only causes my vision to blurry even more, "Where, Adelina?!" Damien screams through the phone when I don't answer him and I look up before telling him I'm in front of my house.

"Stay where you are. I'm coming, alright?"

I nod even though he can't see it and hold the phone strongly against my ear. I whisper a faithfully 'yes' to let him know I'm still on the call, despite my urge to get inside my house. My heart is pounding against my chest and I don't think I can be alone right now.

"Can you not hang up?" My voice sounds like a child is talking, afraid of the dark or something but that's exactly how I'm feeling right now, completely terrified. I hear him let out a sigh of care in response and I smile weakly against my phone.