chapter forty

"It seemed so perfect, but ended so soon

"It seemed so perfect, but ended so soon."

- D. J

✥ ✥ ✥

DO YOU KNOW THAT MOMENT, THE PARTICULAR ONE THAT HAPPENS ONCE IN A LIFETIME, WHEN YOU LOOK BACK ON ALL YOUR ACTIONS? All the choices that have brought you to this very instant?

I never thought it would happen to me. The funny thing about the universe is that it gives you what you least expect.

My mind repeats my first kiss with Damien over and over again, a reminder of how I gave up self-control and I let myself get lost in someone else. It's pathetic. How could I be so stupid?

"Is it good, Adelina?" Scarlett's voice is the one to bring me back to reality, and for an instant, I forget what I'm about to do. She ties my legs on the chair, my hands already secured with a knot on my back, and I nod at her. Jace's sister finishes up, making another fragile knot so I can easily untie them.

I have to take a deep breath to remind myself it will work. The plan is simple, it's all variables that worry me. 

I will pretend to have been kidnapped by Damien's enemy, who already sent a video of me to the bad boy, and with his arrival, what will happen for sure according to Jace, he will exchange the gang for me, signing the damn contract. 

The problem is, I don't think he will come, not after what he did to me. We are strangers now but I hope to my well-being that he does. I do not know what Jace will do to me if I'm useless to him.

"Is there a particular reason you hate me?" The question slips out of my tongue before I can hold it back and Scarlett rolls her eyes before standing up. Now that's taller than me, perhaps it wasn't a good idea to ask that question. 

We have time waiting for Jace to give us the signal his enemy is arriving, so I might as well try to ease things with her. 

"I don't hate you." I laugh at her response, needing to know damn well she won't ever tell me that truth. I do that until I realize she doesn't open up a smile, looking dead serious at me.

"You don't need to lie, Scarlett. There isn't a problem with hate, not if it doesn't affect the way we help each other." 

"I don't hate you, Adelina, it's the truth." She sighs when she realizes I'm not buying it as I furrow my eyebrows and she leans so she's on my eye level. I notice its strategic position, one that blocks the view of her from the cameras positioned on our backs, and when she slowly ties the cloth that will serve as a gag on my neck, I know it was on purpose. What the fuck is going on?