chapter thirteen

"She was powerful, not because she wasn't scared but because she went on so strongly, despite the fear

"She was powerful, not because she wasn't scared but because she went on so strongly, despite the fear."

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

"PLEASE, PICK UP BELLA," I whisper to myself as I look at my ceiling, lying in my comfortable bed, after dialing my best friend's number that I know by heart.

Chad really helped when he used a contact to get me away from detention and he's the only reason I wasn't late to pick up Sammy from my horrible aunt. I have to thank him later for that one.

I wait anxiously for Bella to answer me, already thinking about a plan B in case she doesn't want me to sleep at her house after the football game. In reality, I could never pull this off and keep everything hidden from Tom other than with my best friend's help.

"Please, I need you, Bel."

At the exact moment, she picks up, almost like if she heard me and my heart finally starts to beat at a normal pace again.

"It's been a while since you've called me that, Lina." Her voice tone sounds indifferent but I know deep inside she's hurt. Bella thinks she is different from me but we are the same.

We hide our true feelings.

"Yeah, ever since Ben pas- you know." I break in the middle of the sentence because I can bear to remind her that her twin brother is dead. She sighs through the phone, a long and deep one, and I can't help but wonder if I made her cry. Bella knows how to fake emotions.

"It's okay, Lina. I will need to get used to it," she assures me, her voice is sad, breaking my heart a little and I decide to let go of this horrible topic. I don't think she remembers why I stopped calling her 'bel' but it's fine.

When Bella decided to focus on boys and popularity, she asked me to stop using our nicknames with each other, said it was too childish.

I did what she asked, only wishing all the happiness in the world to my best friend. If that's what would make her happy, who am I to stop it.

Bella has been through a lot.

"Are we still up for tonight? The game will be amazing." I manage to say, leaving behind the bad atmosphere around both of us, a huge smile forming on lips.

She doesn't answer me back for a few minutes and I try my best to think in a positive way. Ever since my talk with Damien, I feel like Bella is off and our friendship is breaking but that's impossible.

There's no way she knows something about us.

"Yeah, yeah, of course, it is. Meet me at 5 pm because we need to pick up Eric at his house." It seems like she's smiling and sounds a bit more like her true self so I leave all the worries for later, assuring myself everything will be fine.