epilogue

"We were all lost somehow, but we didn't care, we had in the chaos, found each other"

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

IT'S BEEN THREE YEARS.

And I haven't missed a single day. I visit Damien solemnly, like a ritual, and if I just close my eyes, I can feel exactly how his touch was, the way his skin brushed against mine.

Some days are harder than others. I lose tiny fragments of my heart every time I wake up and he isn't next to me when I move on with life and the call from the hospital never comes.

But I have hope, I need to or I will go insane.

"C'mon, Lina! We are late for school," Sammy's voice is the one to take me back from my thoughts and I can only nod, taking my attention back to the scrambled eggs on the pan. They have almost burned and if it weren't for his warning, I would have realized it too late.

I turn off the stove and serve them on the plate, a smile already on my lips when I turn around to place breakfast in front of my brother. He doesn't need to be worried about me.

"Here, gummy bear, while you eat I will finish getting ready, alright?" He has his mouth already stuffed with the eggs and I roll my eyes before muffling his hair and heading straight to my bedroom.

It's incredible how fast time passes by. Sammy is ten years old and I'm living with him as I've always hoped to. I just didn't want it to have cost this much.

After what happened with Damien, I didn't want to be a burden to his family and live under the same roof without him there, so I moved out. I used my savings to rent a place for me for some days, to calm down and think about what I would do next, but the Stones didn't let me go through any difficulties.

Despite Kayla's anger towards me, one of the reasons we hardly ever speak to each other again, she and her family rented a place big enough for my brother and me to live. Despite my refusal, they were categoric in telling me this is what Damien would have wanted for us.

I live for him every single day, hoping that one day he will be able to do it for himself. I lost him and a friendship of a lifetime but I'm getting through with it, it's been 1095 days like this and I'm getting by each one.

I take a deep breath while looking in the mirror and I can only apply a light pink blush on my cheeks, I don't know why today started like this. My usual brightness, that little by little I've grown back, has faded and an agony takes place in my heart.

"Fuck." A mumble leaves my lips when I look at the time on my nightstand, knowing Sammy is late and I'm even more.

I grab my bag, the car's keys and a black sweater to wear if it gets colder and luckily my brother is already ready in front of the door when I arrive.