"Love? Stupid love."

"Hello, this is Rachel Creed." Mrs... Mason's mom speaks with a sweet voice. "Oh, Mr. Wilson! Of course, of course. Yes, I'll have the books ready and delivered to your doorstep in less than a week."

I continue writing in the cards meant for Miss Rachel's customers.

"I'm almost done with mine here," she looks up at me after finishing with the call, "I'll just quickly finish up and go get the decorations."

After hours of Angie's begging and pouting, we're finally going to decorate the Christmas tree. We even had an early supper just so we can finish up with the tree before Angie's bed time.

"It's okay. You can give me yours and I'll finish up."

"No, thank you," she slowly shakes her head, "I've been writing to these customers for years. They'll know if I didn't write their cards and..."

"I understand." I chuckle and continue copying the paragraphs she wrote in her tablet onto the cards.

A few minutes later she stands up, telling me that she'll be up in the attic grabbing the boxes of decorations.

"Mason!" She calls out as she exits the room.

"Maya, come sit with me for a while."

"Oh, okay." I smile and sit next to her.

"What are you watching?" I look up at the TV as she cuddles up next to me.

***

Mason's POV

"I don't remember us having so many decorations." Ollie wrinkles his forehead.

"Well, yes." Mom picks up feather duster. "I ordered a few the other day."

"Why? The tree didn't get bigger this year."

"Yes but our family did." Mom replies before turning around to rid the boxes of their dust.

I don't miss the smile on her face and it makes me smile too.

"You boys take the ones I've dusted off downstairs." She hands me a box.

We place the boxes next to the tree once we reach the living room. I glance at Maya and Angie, quietly focusing on the Disney show they're watching.

Ollie and I quickly make our way back to the attic where mom is done with the boxes. Ollie and I pick up more boxes and she does the same before following us out.

As we re-enter the living room and head for the Christmas tree, Maya and Angie's focus remains on the TV. They don't even seem to notice us.

My mother kneels down to open one of the boxes and examine it. Ollie and I stand behind her, expecting more instructions. I turn to look at the two sitting on the couch.

I can only see the back of Maya's head but I can hear Angie's faint singing.

"Maya?" Angie speaks softly and Maya's eyes find hers.

"Yes, sweetheart?" She stares down at Angie who sits up to look at her intently.

"Do you... Hmm..." Angie purses her lips in thought. "Do you love my brother?"

I catch my mother's smile from the corner of my eye. Maya does not reply; she chuckles softly and looks down.

"Hmm. I do. " She hums.

"Really?" Angie beams, prompting her body up on the couch.

"Hmm..." Another hum. Another shy smile.

"Tell me why?" Angie grins. Maya looks into her eyes again and smiles.

"He's got the cutest smile I've ever seen on a boy. He can make even the most dull things seem interesting and I swear he lights up every room he walks into. I love how sweet and considerate he is. I love the way he is always there to hold my hand when I need him or to open up his arms and let me fall into them. I love how he looks into my eyes, how he kisses me unexpectedly... I love how he loved me, how he loves me and how he promises to love me even tomorrow."