Night Clouds In A Paper Bag

This chapter hasn't been edited and it's almost 2am but I owe you guys.

***

"I saw you, you weren't paying attention half of the time." Maya laughs.

"Can you blame me? You were sitting right next to me."

"And?" She puts her slice of pizza back on the plate.

"How can I focus on anything else when I'm with you?"

Her mouth falls slightly agape before the expression is replaced with a shy smile.

"I love you, Maya." I whisper.

"I love you too." She lifts her left hand from under the table and holds mine.

The door of the restaurant opens and we look up, slowly letting go.

She takes out her phone from her purse. She looks down at it for a few seconds before stretching out her arm to the side.

I turn to look at the phone and she quickly takes a picture.

"Revenge!" She grins, looking down at the phone.

"Really?" I laugh.

"Ah!" She gasps. "You don't even look bad."

She turns the screen to me and pouts. She's right, I don't look bad.

"Well, what can I say?" I lean back on the chair and run my hand through my hair, smirking.

"Don't be so modest." She scowls at me and I laugh.

"We have to go." I look down at my phone screen.

"Why, what's wrong?"

"Our next activity awaits." I grin. "How much is the food?"

"Can I pay for this one?" She asks, already taking out her purse.

Before I can object, she puts down a few dollar notes and stands up. I quickly follow. She excitedly waves goodbye to Natalia on our way out.

"Will you please tell me where we're going this time?" She comes to a standstill in front of the restaurant door.

"Hmm... No."

"Why?" She pouts and batters her eyelashes.

"You look so cute." I unlock my phone and attempt to take another picture.

"Oh no, you don't." She turns around and starts running up the street.

"Maya!" I run behind, dodging past bystanders and pedestrians.

She turns a corner, past a thrift shop and I increase my speed. Her curly hair comes into view, bouncing off her shoulders as she continues running. I momentarily stop and laugh, catching my breath, before continuing and finally catching up to her.

"Hey!" I grab her hand and spin her around. She turns to me, giggling and panting. "Don't run away from me."

"I won't ever." She violently shakes her head. "I love you too much."

She looks up at me and smiles and I feel my lips twitch up. I feel her arms snake around my waist before she crashes her body onto mine. I'm taken aback for a second before wrapping my arms around her and kissing the top of her head.

"I love you. I love you so much."

I close my eyes and we stay like that for minutes. I hear every loud sound and voice around us. I feel everyone as they rush past us in the Friday afternoon rush. With all of that, my mind is only filled with Maya.