Radio Songs And Neighborhood Walks

Maya's POV

I stare at Max, who is sitting on the other end of the couch. His eyes are focused on his phone. The fact that I've been staring at him for five straight minutes and he hasn't bothered to look up tells me one thing; he is upset.

"Max..." I finally say and he hums a reply.

I call him again and this time he looks up.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask, slightly pouting my lips.

"What? No." He shakes his head.

"Why aren't you talking to me?" I shift closer to him.

"I'm busy," he waves his phone in the air, "with my assignment."

His assignment. That's why he can't come with Mason and I. His professor gave them some last minute assignment that he needs to spend the whole weekend doing.

"I really wanted you to come." I say. "Mrs. Wilder also wanted you to come."

"Next time." He replies before focusing on his phone once more.

Something isn't right, between us. He's keeping a lot of things to himself. Before, he would tell me everything that was bothering him. Now, I'm lucky if I even get a full sentence when I ask what's bothering him.

I look up when Mason enters the room, a small travel bag in his hand.

"Are you ready?" He asks me and look at my own bag before nodding.

"Please give me a minute." I ask.

He looks at Max and nods. He quickly grabs my bag and his car keys and phone and walks out of the house.

"I'll see you on Sunday, I guess." I say and Max looks up at me.

He smiles and stands up. I do the same, my eyes never leaving him. He pulls me into his arms and hugs me.

"I'll miss you, babe." He says and I smile and hug him tighter. He kisses me then walks me to the door.

"Say hi to your mom and tell her I'll visit as soon as I can." Max says to Mason once we're outside.

"Sure." Mason nods.

I open the door and get into the car. Max and I wave goodbye and Mason gets into the driver's seat. In minutes, we're driving away from the house.

I put on my seat belt and take my phone out of the pocket of my dress. I take my earphones out as well.

I notice Mason glance at me and smile before he lifts his hand and switches on the radio. Straghtjacket by Quinn XCII fills the car.

I gasp and stare at him, a wide smile on my face.

"What? You just..." I laugh.

He shrugs and I laugh again.

"My therapist explained to me why I need to stop punishing myself. She wasn't wrong."

"That's so great!" I beam. "I'm so happy you see things that way now."

I sit back and put my eaprhones away. I close my eyes and try my best to stop smiling. It's so good seeing him like this.

He starts singing along to the chorus and my smile turns into giggles.

"You won't know me when the feeling's all gone, and I tell everyone
and the look on your face will slowly come undone..."

We sing along as we continue with the drive to his home. I look outside, closing my eyes and letting the warm  rays of the setting sun hit my face. I think this will be a really great weekend.