Home Not So Sweet Home

The cab comes to a halt in front of the hotel gate. I grab my bag and wave goodbye to the driver before exiting the car. I hear him drive off, the sound quickly merging with that of all the other cars in the street.

I make my way into the vast yard, looking up at the majestic building in front of me. I quickly begin to speedwalk, making my way towards the entrance.

I walk through the open glass doors and into the foyer.

This place looks exquisite with mirrors adorning the walls and magenta and gold couches pushed against the walls. A few pot plants are placed around the perimeter of the room and a large chandelier hangs in the middle of the ceiling.

The receptionist, sitting behind the large desk next to the door, perks her head up and looks at me. A huge, clearly practiced smile appears on her face.

"Hello! Welcome to Belle Hotel."

"Hi." I reply with a smile. "I'm here to see-"

The elevator doors open and we both shoot our heads in its direction. My smile grows and I turn back to the lady.

"There's the person I'm here to see. Have a lovely day." I give her a smile that reaches my eyes.

"Thank you, you too." She chirps before I walk off.

"Look at you!" I exclaim, opening my arms as I approach Lilly.

"Nut-Nut!" She smiles and wraps her arms around me.

She looks beautiful even in her simple maroon sweater and washed out blue jeans.

"How are you?" She asks, turning around to press the button next to the elevator.

"I'm well, what about you?"

"Good." She nods. "I'm sorry we couldn't meet on Wednesday, I got called for..."

"Got called for what?" My curiosity grows.

"Uh..." She shrugs and seems hesitant. "Oh what the hell? I got a job."

"That's great!" I exclaim just as the steel doors part and a group of people step out of the elevator.

"Yeah," we step into the elevator, "it's not what I wanted. I'll be a secretary for the edior in chief of a magazine but I do need a job."

"I'm sure a better opportunity will come up later but for now, you need to celebrate this. I mean, you haven't been here for long and you've already got a job, that's a good thing."

"Uh huh." She nods as we start going up to the 6th floor.

"How long are you guys planning on staying here?"

"That's another problem. We can't find a decent place to live. We have to consider the baby now."

"Aw, I'm sorry." The doors open and we exit into a long hallway.

We stop in front of one of the doors and she takes out a card from her back pocket. She pushes it into the lock next to the door, her hand gripping the handle. The door opens and she grabs the card before we both walk in.

"Hey!" Brian greets from the table in the corner of the room.

"Hi!" I rush over to him and give him a hug.

"You haven't come to visit us. What has been keeping you so busy?" He chuckles as I move over to the other side of the table.

"I think it's a matter of who." Lilly comments, sitting down on their large bed and I smile.

"There's a who?" Brian arches a brow and I look down, feeling shy.

"Uhm, where are your things?" I look up at Lilly and attempt to change the subject.