"Can I join you kids?"

27th of December and my mother finally allowed Maya and I to leave. I swear I was beginning to feel the need to call the police and report a kidnapping.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. It tugged at my heartstrings to see her that happy. I mean, she wasn't really happy about two hours ago when we left because she and Angie were mostly crying.

We're only like less than an hour away. I'll be with them by the new year.

We picked up Max and Bianca from the airport before I dropped the girls at their college. Now, it's Max and I going to our place.

As soon as we turn the corner that leads to our street, we can't miss the loud music. I sigh, knowing that it can't be from anywhere but where we're headed.

We end up parking the car a few houses away since Jesse's guests have taken up most of the space in front of our house.

"I'm too tired for this."

After dropping Maya and Bianca off, all I thought about was getting home and resting. Now I have to walk to the house and I don't even know why I'm doing that since I can't even get there and sleep.

"Why am I not surprised?" Max covers his face with his hand and shakes his head.

"Where's Justin?"

"He told Maya he's playing at some popular Cafe tonight."

"Good because if he was a part of this, he was dead."

"Let's just find Jesse and..." Max shuts his eyes and locks his jaw.

We push our way through the crowd, our eyes searching for Jesse. Ten minutes pass before we decide to split up and look for him. This place isn't even that big but with so many people, it becomes impossible to find anyone. More especially a potentially drunk idiot who might have passed out somewhere.

After searching his bedroom again and not finding him, I decide to go out to the backyard once more. I walk around the place, ready to give up before I hear muffled cries.

"Listen, I'm sorry. It was a mistake. I... I love you." The cries are accompanied by a voice. "It's the alcohol. I'll stop drinking. I swear, Mary."

Mary?

I take out my phone and text Max:

Found him, he's in the backyard near  the radius wall.

"R-Really? Wh-where y... Where y-you d-d-drunk..." This voice is softer and it breaks with every word.

"Shh...shh...I'm sorry, baby. I swear it won't happen again." Jesse tries to apologise.

"Don't touch me!"

"Hey, dude." Max comes up to me, jogging. "What's going on?"

"I think he got caught cheating again. Mary sounds upset."

"Mary, baby, wait!" He calls out and a second later, Mary comes out behind the wall. Her face, in clear view because all her hair is tied up in a bun, is a messy artwork of make up and tears. Her boyfriend is right behind her.

"Mary!" Jesse tries to grab her hand but she turns around. In a split second, she raises her hand high and slaps Jesse right across the face.

His mouth hangs open as his own hand is gently placed over his now bruising cheek. Max and I turn to each other, our own jaws on the ground.

"Okay, I deserved that." He removes his hand, unknowingly giving her another opportunity. "But listen, I-"

The sentence is cut off by another slap. She sobs with this one; as if it breaks her heart to hurt him.