Coffee And Biryani

I lift my head off his chest and look up at him. He stares into my eyes, his glistening from unshed tears.

I look at how soft they've become. How different they are from all the other days when he's trying to avoid me or when he... When he sees me with Max.

They're not tired or hurt right now. They're full of happiness and something I can't quite put my finger on.

I smile and rest my forehead on his chest once more. I inhale his scent and fist my hands around his jacket. He squeezes his arms around my waist and I smile.

Gosh, this feels perfect.

"We can't stand here forever." He whispers into my ear.

"I know." I sigh. There's something else I know but, I don't want to get to that now.

I look up again and he lowers his head and rests his forehead on mine. His hair softly brushes against my face and I squint my eyes.

"Tell me again why we said we didn't want to be together before?" He laughs and I can't help but do the same.

"I don't know," I sniff, "my friends would say we're stupid."

"Hey," he laughs, lifting his head, "Priya would definitely say the same thing."

I tense up and he seems to notice. His face suddenly falls and his relaxed, happy vibe is gone.

"Hey, what's wrong?" His voice softens.

"Hmm?"

Oh, I don't know. The really pretty girl you were out on a date with the other day. What's that all about?

"What's wrong?"

"You and," I pout and narrow my eyes, "Priya."

"What about us?" He creases his forehead and nose.

"Are you guys like, dating or exes?"

He smiles, clearly amused and enjoying this.

"Are you jealous?" His smile changes into a smirk.

I roll my eyes and look away.

"She's my best friend." He explains. "Trust me, there's nothing going on between us. Never has been, never will be. She's actually been trying to get the two of us back together."

"What?" I frown.

"Yeah, she said it was stupid that I was staying away from you so that Max could be happy."

I look down, realising once more that our actions have just done more harm than good. I don't know what I was thinking. If I just acted out of hurt or disappointment. If I dug out dormant feelings for Max and tried to give them a host in my broken heart so they could come to life.

"Uhm, guys." We turn our faces in the direction of the shop's door.

An unfamiliar boy, who looks very exhausted and bored stands there. He pushes his blonde hair with streaks of blue back and rolls his eyes.

"If you two are not going to buy anything, you can't park here." He gives us an irritated nod before pushing the door open and walking back inside.

"Well uh..." Mason and I look at each other. "Would you like to have dinner with me?"

"I think it's a little early for dinner." I shrug and smile sheepishly.

"What do you call the meal before dinner?" He laughs.

"Uhm... Lunch." I grin.

"You know what I mean." He rolls his eyes and smiles.

He removes his arms from around me and we face the small coffee shop. A sharp pain suddenly shoots down to my ankle and I wince.