Theater And Pizza Dates

Maya's POV

"Tell me where you're taking me." I whine and pout.

"Nope." I can almost see the grin on Mason's face.

"Well, are we just going out for lunch?"

"Maya," he groans, "which part of this is out first date did you not understand? I'm going all out."

"What's all out supposed to mean?" I laugh.

"It means you'll never forget this day."

"I never forget any second I spend with you." I reply.

There's silence for a few seconds before he replies.

"That's my thing. I'm the one with the teen fiction lines."

"Not anymore!" I stick out my tongue at the phone screen.

Priya laughs behind me and I turn around to give her a smile.

"Just, please get ready. I'll be there soon." He chuckles.

"Okay, okay but if I end up having a bad day, it's all your fault. You need to give me clues so I can prepare myself."

"Clues? Will you stop worrying, Banks."

I smile and shake my head.

"Okay, Wilder. I'll trust whatever plans you have."

"Thank you. Now, goodbye."

He ends the call and I put my phone on my bed.

"What I got from that is that you guys are going out on a date." Priya remarks and I turn around to look at her.

"Uh huh." I nod.

"Oh! How exciting!" She excitedly claps her hands.

"The last time Mason went to a date, I had to force him and he had such a bad time, I was stuck doing his gym chores to apologise." She frowns and looks away, shaking her head. "What about you? Did you go on any dates?"

"No," I smile sadly and look away, "I didn't. This... This is actually my first date. I messed up the one with Max."

"I guess that was destiny." Priya grins.

I laugh and shake my head. Perhaps it was destiny. I felt very bad at that time, and long after Max and I had broken up but I'm glad I've let go of the guilt.

"I should start getting ready!" I jump off the bed. "He'll be here soon."

I quickly open the closet doors and start scanning the clothes hanging from wooden hangers.

"Ooh! Yes!" She stands up and claps her hands again. "What are you going to wear? You should wear a red dress. The girl always wears a red dress on the first date in the movies."

"The last time I wore a red dress to go see Mason, I got shot." I say over my shoulder, arching my eyebrow.

"Damn! The last time I wore red to a first date, we saw Viola Davis at the restaurant."

"Well, you've got some great luck." I laugh. "Besides, I can't wear a dress. I don't know where he's taking me."

"I can't guess either. He's full of surprises." She narrows her eyes.

"Yeah," I smile, "he is."

***

My fingers grip on to the silky material of the curtain. I've been gripping on to it for so long, I'm shocked there's still blood circulating to my fingertips. My eyes are glued to the driveway. I'm waiting.