Time And History

"You and me, got a whole lot of history."
~One Direction, History.

***

Mason's POV

I close the front door and walk back into the house after saying goodbye to my family. Mom went to drop Oli and Angie at school and after that, she has meetings to go to.

I hear the sizzling sound from the kitchen and increase my pace. I'm making breakfast and I'm hoping it will cheer Maya up.

Last night she cried for almost an hour. When she started to feel sleepy, I carried her to her room. I figured it wasn't the right time to ask her to explain what had upset her so much.

I grab a spatula from the counter and move the sausages around in the pan.

I spent the night trying to figure it out. There's no way it's her ankle. She's been so chilled about it. I know she secretly loves all the attention and not having to do a thing.

I chuckle and shake my head at the thought.

On a more serious note, something is really wrong. Could she have received another call from her mom? She was upset after the first one they had.

I dish out the browned sausages onto the two plates on the kitchen island.

"Mason?" My head shoots up to the doorway.

One hand holds on to the door frame and the other sleepily rubs her eyes. Her hair looks frizzy and half of it is hanging out from the hair tie. I smile and quickly walk to her side.

"Hey, you should've called me." I say softly, wrapping my arm around her waist for support. She responds by doing the same.

"I can walk, Mason."Any way, I need to-" she yawns and covers her mouth. "What time is it?"

"It's like 6:45. I changed your alarm to 7:30 so you could get more hours of sleep yet here you are."

"Why would you do that?" She looks up at me, squinting her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just figured the pills and well... Last night." Her face falls and she looks down. "Hey, I made breakfast."

She looks up and her eyes rest on the kitchen island. She smiles and my lips twitch up with my own smile.

It worked!

"Let's go sit down on the couch." I attempt to turn around.

"No, it's fine here." She remains still.

"You won't be comfortable on those chairs." I remark and she nods.

"You could just bring the plates and I'll walk myself to the living room. It's right there, I won't get lost."

"Ha ha," I mock, "you can barely walk."

"We both know I can walk on my own, Wilder. Why don't you just tell me you like all of this," she stops and I do the same, "holding on to me, carrying me."

She looks into my eyes and gives me a teasing smile and I gulp nervously.

"I'm joking." She chuckles and we continue walking.

We reach the couch and I help her sit down. I carefully place her ankle on the stool mom brought yesterday. It looks better now, the swelling seems to have subsided.

"How is it?"

"The ankle's fine and I'm also well, thank you for asking."

I look up at her and roll my eyes. She laughs and shoos me away.