Dancing In The Rain

"Take my hand, I'll take the lead
And every turn will be safe with me
Don't be afraid, afraid to fall
You know I'll catch you through it all"

    ~Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron, Can I have this dance?

***

I look at my reflection in the narrow, long mirror as I tie my hair into a low bun. All three of my friends giggle and chatter behind me.

"Are you really wearing that for your date?" Bianca asks.

"We're not going out for a date. It's just a drive." I say over my shoulder.

"You're boyfriend and girlfriend," Peyton squeals, "it's a date."

I roll my eyes and smile. It's not a date. Mason and I just want to spend some time together. We'll have our first date later.

Perhaps next weekend.

"Well actually, he's seen ya in your worst t-shirts and sweatpants. This isn't that bad." Lilly remarks.

I turn around and look down at the laptop on Zoe's lap. Lilly gives me a sheepish grin and shrugs.

"You guys need to chill and get out of my room." I say.

"Yeah, we're not going anywhere." Peyton grins and shakes her head.

"Aren't you nervous?" Bianca's eyes slightly widen.

"Mason and I have ran from and faced death together, spending time with him isn't going to make me nervous." As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I rush to sit down in front of Bianca and Zoe.

"Of course I'm nervous." My eyes move from my laptop screen to my friends. "I'm his girlfriend now."

"Nutty," Lilly smiles, "it's Mason. Ya, my dear sister, will be fine. Every thing will just naturally fall into place."

I return her smile and nod. She's right; it's Mason. I'm always calm and at ease around him. Well, subtract all the times I thought one of us was going to die.

That's something that scares me. The last time we did this, things didn't end well. Obstacles that kept pulling us apart would pop out of nowhere. His crazy ex girlfriend, his criminal of a boss and...my mother.

"What are you thinking about?" Peyton asks.

I look up at her. She's lying on her stomach on my bed, an open bag of skittles next to her.

"Nothing." I lie before looking down at Lilly. "I haven't seen you in forever and we're living in the same city."

"I know," she groans, "I've been busy trying to find a job. Listen, when you're free during the week, let's meet up."

"My classes end early on Wednesday. How's that?"

"Perfect." She gives me a thumbs up. "I've got to go, Nutty. I'll speak to you later."

She disappears from the screen and a picture of us appears on my desktop.

"I'm serious, change out of that." Peyton insists, eyeing me up and down.

I look out the window and back at my friends with arched eyebrows. It's cold outside and there is no way I'm going to change out of my jeans and hoodie into a cute dress.

My phone rings and suddenly everyone turns around to look at it on Zoe's bed. Everyone lurches for it and I yelp as I follow behind, a second later.

"Mason!" Bianca puts the phone near her ear, using her other hand to fight the three of us off.

"Give me the phone!" I whisper yell.