Prisons And Homes On Thanksgiving

Maya's POV

My alarm rings and I groan as I dig out my phone from under my pillow. I slide my thumb across the screen and the obnoxious sound dies off.

I sit up on my bed, rubbing my eyes sleepily. I turn to my left to look at the bed on the other side of the room. Priya is still sound asleep.

Since she and I have never really gotten time to know each other, we used last night for that. We talked for hours about Mason, Mason and I, this place, our history with The Man and why we're here.

By the time my dad got back, we were still up and talking.

I pull my legs out from under the covers and bring my feet to the floor. Just then, my phone vibrates and I look down at it. It's a good morning text from Mason. I smile as I type back a reply.

Mason : Mrs. Jones has half our day already packed with running errands. After that, we still have the Thanksgiving lunch party. I'll be dead by the time I see you.

Well, if he's dead, he won't see me.

I chuckle to myself before typing back.

I put my phone down on the bedside table and begin to make my bed.

It vibrates as I get another message. I pick it up and open the message, walking out of the room.

"Good morning, sweetheart." My heart rate picks up speed as I reach the bottom of the stairs.

I stare up in shock but immediately calm down.

"Dad," I make my way over to him, "I thought you'd left."

"Not yet," he smiles before taking a sip of his coffee, "I still have about an hour or so."

"Has mom already left?" I look around the room although I already know the answer.

"Yes." He smiles apologetically. "You two need to talk."

"I know." I climb onto one of the bar stools.

One of the reasons I was more than happy to host Priya was to avoid talking to my mom. I don't know what else she wants to say. I'm afraid she's going to push me more and try to get me to break up with Mason. I don't think our relationship can ever be the same if that happens.

"Is your friend still asleep?" Dad inquires.

"Yes." I nod.

"Will you guys be going to Bianca's later on?"

"Probably but she might go to Max's."

"Max? He's also here? How does she know him? I don't remember seeing her before." He says outloud but more to himself.

"Oh, no, we haven't known each other for long. She's Mason's friend and he's staying over at Max."

I look intently at my father, waiting for his reaction. He remains nonchalant and I pick up no change in his facial expression. He takes another sip of his coffee before focusing on me.

"Sweetheart, do you want my honest opinion?"

I nod and gulp nervously. Dad was never a big fan of Mason's.

"I liked that kid, Mason, I mean."

He did?

"Yes, don't look so shocked." He laughs and I join in. "I also understand where your mother is coming from. Everything that she has done, was to ensure your protection."

"Dad..."

"I'm not condoning the secrecy but I'm just asking that you hear her out."

How, when she made it clear what she thinks and wants? I'm not going to break up with Mason.