Sundays In Centers

Maya's POV

Zoe finishes brushing my hair and ties it into a bun at the back of my head. She leans her head to the side to take a look at me.

"Nice!" She remarks.

Mason said he'll be coming to pick me up in a few minutes. He didn't tell me where we're going, just that it would make me happy.

"I need to get myself a boyfriend." Bianca pouts. She's sitting on my bed, looking at us.

"You could," Zoe replies, "it's just that you're too hung up on a certain guy."

"B!" I turn to her. "Why don't you talk to Max?"

"What?" Her eyes widen and she shakes her head. "No."

"C'mon, you really like him and you two would make a great couple." 

"You're really one to talk." Zoe laughs. "We also tried to convince you to talk to Mason but you still didn't."

I turn to Bianca again and sigh. Maybe Zoe and Mason are right; I shouldn't push things.

"Max isn't..." Bianca begins. "Nevermind."

"Isn't what?" Zoe questions.

"I just don't think he wants to-" her eyes move to me and she stops talking.

There's something she doesn't want to tell me and I'm not sure whether I should let it be or push her to tell.

My phone vibrates and I stretch out my hand to grab it.

"It's Mason," I say outloud, "he's here."

I stand up and grab my bag.

"When Peyton gets here, let me know." I say as I wave goodbye and head out the door.

Last night, Peyton texted us, nobody knows from where, to tell us to leave without her. She called Bianca this morning and they briefly spoke but we haven't heard anything from her since.

I walk across the hall to the elevator and get inside.

***

Mason's POV

"Uhm, thanks, Mason." Peyton smiles awkwardly.

"No problem." I nod.

She spent the night at the house but she and Jesse started the morning with a fight.

"Yeah, I'll uh... I'll see you around." She opens the door and is out of the car before I can reply.

This must be very awkward for her. She and I aren't even friends.

Well, this wasn't a good way to get to know each other.

Ten minutes later, I look up as the door on the passesenger side opens again.

"Hey!" Maya greets as she gets in.

"Hey." I sit up as she secures her seat belt.

"Peyton spent the night at Jesse's?" Her eyes widen.

"Yup." I start the car and begin driving. I guess they bumped into each other.

"What? How? Why? We all spoke about this." She sits back and shakes her head. "She said she wanted nothing to do with Jesse and-"

She abruptly stops and looks at me again.

"Where the heck was his girlfriend?"

"She never showed up. He said she had to take care of her friend, or something like that."