Birthday Breakfasts And Midnight Cuddles

I watch as Mrs. Wilder grabs different utensils from the cupboards. I take them from her and place them on the kitchen island.

We're going to make breakfast together. We'll, she's going to teach me. I actually don't think I'll be of much help.

I found her already up at 6am when my usual alarm woke me up. She was on her laptop working. She says she's grown her business, opening bookstores around San Fransisco and investing as a silent partner in a friend's weekend retreat.

"Please get the flour. It's in there." She points behind me and I follow her index finger to a big drawer.

I walk over to the cupboard and pull the drawer open. There's a bag of flour, among other things I'm not sure I recognise. I take it out and give it to her.

"Maya." She stops moving and I look up at her.

"Yes?"

"I'm so happy you're here." She smiles.

I smile back. She's been repeating these words since yesterday. I didn't know she would be this happy to see me.

"Mrs. Wilder, you could've come and visited me. I mean, I understand why Mason couldn't bring himself to come but you really could've. It would've made me so happy to see you."

"Sweetheart, it wasn't that easy." She sighs and I frown.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing." Her smile returns.

I'm about to push the matter forward but someone interrupts us.

"Good morning." Mason greets as he walks into the kitchen.

"Morning." His mom and I reply simultaneously.

"What are you doing?" He asks, looking between the utensils on the kitchen island and his mother and I.

"We're making breakfast, duh." I reply and his mother chuckles.

"Mom, you should sit down. I'll make breakfast." Mason offers, a sweet smile on his face.

"No, this is your birthday breakfast." Mrs. Wilder grins. "Maya and I will make it."

Mason looks at me and his smile grows.

"Now, get out of here. Go back to sleep or whatever."

"Okay but first, mom, where's my punching bag?"

"In the garage."

"What's it doing in the garage?"

"I found Oli playing with it the other day and I don't want him hurting himself."

"Oh," a smile plays on his lips, "Oli wants to take up boxing. I should teach him."

"No." His mom shakes her head. "I'm not letting him learn how to fight at such a young age."

"Mom, he's almost thirteen and boxing is to defend himself, not go around fighting."

"Same thing." Mrs. Wilder waves a dismissive hand. "Now, get out."

***

"This looks great!" Mrs. Wilder exclaims as I place berries on the pile of pancakes and around the plate.

"Mommy, mommy may I have some?" Angie asks, her eyes focused on the mountain of pancakes in front of her.

"Sweetie, those aren't yours." Mrs. Wilder places an empty plate in front of Angie.

Angie grabs it and without asking anything else, walks out of the kitchen. I grab more plates and cutlery and follow her.

"Maya," Angie begins once we're together, "this is going to make Mason so happy."