Sprains And Middle Names

I'm brought out of my sleep by the irritating sound of an alarm going off. I shoot my head to my right and glare at the phone on my bedside table. The phone vibrates, moving slightly and slowly. Maya shifts and a soft frown crosses her face.

I grab the phone and slide my thumb across the screen. The alarm stops and I squint my eyes, trying to see the time.

6 o'clock? It's a Sunday; what is she doing waking up at 6?

I slowly open my eyes and smile when I see her chestnut hair, splattered across my chest. She's still sound asleep. The frown that had wrinkled her features is gone. She looks so relaxed.

She trusts me. She trusts me to keep her safe like she did two years ago but I couldn't protect her.

She stirs in my arms, pushing her head closer to my chin and wrapping an arm around my torso. I close my eyes and lay my head back on the pillow.

Just stop. Stop ruining every moment you spend with her by remembering the past.

She stirs again in my arms but this time, she doesn't seem as sleepy. She lifts her head from my chest.

"Mason." Her voice is low and unclear.

"It's okay, go back to sleep." I whisper but she turns her head to look at me.

She smiles and I return her smile, raising my eyebrow.

"Good morning." I say with a light chuckle.

"Morning." She says and sits up on the bed.

"How're you feeling?" I ask with a smile.

"Better." She pauses and looks into my eyes. "Thank you."

I nod, not knowing what to say. How do I tell her I love her and will always be here for her without letting her know how I feel about her?

She's about to say something else when her phone begins ringing.

"If that's another alarm..." I groan and she chuckles.

I grab the phone and hand it to her. She stares down at it for a second before looking at me. The relaxation from her face is gone and she seems almost as uneasy as she did last night.

She swipes her thumb across the screen before bringing the phone to her ear.

An awkward smile appears on her face.

"Morning," she glances at me, "babe."

A sharp pain stings my chest and I look away.

"No, you didn't wake me up."

Well, thats how my little bubble bursts.

"I miss you too." She says and I get off the bed.

"Yeah..." She drags the word and I can feel her eyes on me as I move across the room. "We're coming back today. In fact, I need to get out of bed and get ready."

There's a pause before she speaks again.

"Yeah, I'll go wake him up."

I jerk my head to look at her and find her gaze already on me. She quickly looks away, focusing her eyes on my black bed cover.

Of course, she can't say she's in my room at six in the morning.

"Bye, I'll speak to you later." She says before hanging up.

She looks up and our eyes meet. She gives me a sheepish smile and I look away.

"Mason," she calls but when I look at her, she just shakes her head, "nevermind."