TEN

"We meet again, Wei Qing," An energetic voice spoke behind her while she's strolling around.

Wei MeiLan turned around to see Lan XiChen smiling at her. "Young Master Lan XiChen. What brings you here?"

"Lan Huan. Please call me Lan Huan," He said. "We are not totally stranger to one another, aren't we?"

Ugh, this smiling idiot. Wei MeiLan complained inside her mind. "Okay, Lan Huan. Are you here for night hunts again?"

He smiled when she mentioned 'night hunt,' "Yes. It is rumored that there is a section inside the forest, near the foot of the mountain, that there is a barrier that no one can enter. The rumors says that there's an evil creature hiding on that barrier and selects the person to enter,"

"Well, rumors are rumors, aren't they? Why don't you come and check?"

"I was about to come there when I saw you," He looked at her with gentleness. "Everytime I went out for a night hunts, I always see you. Are you, perhaps—"

"Now I'm going to stop you with an assumption," She said. "I'm currently living here after the rebuilt of Lotus Pier. Aunt Jiang has decided to let me live with the way I want, so I decided to make a home here, near YiLing mountain,"

Lan XiChen was listening intently on her as they walked down the streets. "As for that barrier one, I think I can help you solve that,"

"I was about to ask for help to you," He muttered. "But since you offered, I'm happy to accept the offer,"

Wei MeiLan guided him to the forest where anyone can enter, until she stopped on the barrier she made. "This is the rumored place, wasn't it?"

"How did you know this place?" Lan XiChen turned to her. "You didn't decide to live in the forest, aren't you?"

Wei MeiLan smirked. "Perhaps. As for the rumors of evil creature, perhaps you should be the judge of it,"

The restrictions of the barrier only keeps the ordinary people away, not the cultivators. Anyone who has the capability to cultivate can barge in and see what's beyond the illusion barrier. She took a step, passing through the barrier.

Lan XiChen tried to grab her when her body passed through, but he found out that he can go through too, so he followed her without hesitation but with worry that she might get hurt.

As she walked among the few trees, she used the path she had made towards the center of the barrier. A clean stream of water flows gently among the rocks as it settles near a house as a small free flowing pond where some fishes are freely swimming. A house made of wood with sophistication welcomed the two of them as some birds chirped, sensing her arrival. The surrounding is quiet and beautiful, suitable for people who wants a peaceful place to go to.

Flowers grows wildly and healthy around, as some gives a nice scent. Fruit bearing trees and plants growing at random places, some spouting fruits already that is in season.

"Wei Qing! What is this place? Are we in an illusion place?" Lan XiChen asked, totally confused.

"Now the evil creature who made this place will be sad if you think this is an illusion," She answered as she walked up to the house and entered.

"Wait, don't go inside, there might be some traps!" This time, he managed to pull her towards him. "This place is a good bait for anyone. Is the one who lives here are expecting us?"

"Of course not. I'm not expecting your arrival and your night hunt," She pulled her hand back and walked to the house. "Please pardon for my unsightly house, for I expect no visitors anytime of the day,"

Lan XiChen froze for a bit to process what he had just heard, his smiling face faltered. "Your...house? You...made that barrier and this?"

"Why, do you think I'm incapable because I'm a woman?"

"It's not that," He denied her accusation. "Well, I'm surprised that a beautiful place like this was made by you. But how come that the others can't get in?"

"How about," She suggested. "You come in and I will tell you everything?"

******

"You made this place after our night hunt?" Lan XiChen tried to confirm again. "Then, how come we just found out the news?"

Wei MeiLan shrugged. "Who knows? Ordinary people loves gossip. And when they found something unexplainable, they will make some stories about it, spreading it around that it has variations already,"

She's glad that she learn how to brew tea or she might gave Lan XiChen water. After all, she only gave importance to making medicine and salves.

"And you just let it like that?"

"They can't enter, of course their imagination will go wild. They might say it's a god's realm or something similar. Or a devil's nest. Also, they fear the unknown. Humans bound to fear the unknown,"

"It sounds like you understand human hearts well," Lan XiChen said. "Have you traveled wide and far already?"

"I tried to live as an ordinary person for a few days, and I learned some from them. They can be strong yet weak at the same time,"

"What do you mean?"

"Humans can do everything as long as that their goal is achieved. Do you know what is that thing?"

Lan XiChen shook his head in confusion, making Wei MeiLan smirk. "It's love, Lan Huan,"

"What do you mean, 'love'?"

"You're such a silly cultivator," Wei MeiLan stared at his gentle eyes. "You know what am I to you and your life, yet you don't know what is love. Perhaps between you and Lan WangJi, he knows what that is but he can't grasp it because he can't express it unlike you.

"I'm glad that we are in my hideout, or you might see yourself getting a long sermon from me. I don't tolerate idiots, remember that, Lan Huan."