FORTY FIVE

"It's not that, aunt," Jin Ling answered. "It's just, everyone is worried. They might even think that someone had kidnapped you or, or-"

"I'm here to supervise a certain idiot," Wei MeiLan looked at Wei WuXian who was just chuckling at the side. "But it seems like I'll just come to the later time. Have fun running around with him, and make sure you survive, ok?"

She picked up the whip that she dropped to get a spear and tucked it away. Her actions were being watched by Wei WuXian that is still pretending to be Mo XuanYu. His eyes were absorbing her actions; how she walked, talked, moved, and everything. He was unable to see behind the illusion, but he trusted her despite that spell. His regret was that it was short-lived, to have her in their journey of solving the case.

"Are you sure you're just gonna leave like that? You won't join us to finish this?" Wei WuXian said.

"No. I have things to do,"

"But you are not doing those kinds of missions anymore, are you?"

She pats his head. "Do I look like I'm still doing it? I manage a Valley-a Sanctuary actually-aside from the information gathering I took as my business. Technically, I have the same job as Lan Huan here," She moved her head towards Lan XiChen who was standing quietly at the side.

"Lan Huan? Wait-" He raised his hand. "I did not agree to this kind of agreement. Lan Zhan, are you aware of this?"

"En."

"I do not agree!"

"You-!" Jin Ling intervenes. "You have no say in this! You are an outsider!"

"I do! She's my sister!"

"Aunt's brother is dead years ago!"

"If you don't stop bickering here, I'll send the two of you back where you should belong," Wei MeiLan said with a commanding voice. "Jin Ling, go with the others, let us adults handle this matter. Your questions will be answered later after the discussion."

Jin Ling huffed but followed her order. There are only four of them left inside the carnage. Wei MeiLan crossed her arms. "And why, pray tell me, you are disagreeing on this?"

"You two are polar opposites!"

"And?"

"Also, why him, of all people? Not that I'm insulting you, Zewu-Jun, but you can have a simple life, right? Do you know the risk when you accept this?"

"I agreed to do those work so that you won't need to do it, and stay inside the Jiang compound and be carefree. To be able to study in the cloud recesses without me worrying about your future, as A-Cheng's right-hand man. Our parents aren't from the most powerful families on the continent, but at least we can pave our way to this place with our own strength. I chose a different way, a different path that you decided. Lan WangJi has his resolve for you, and so has Huan'er. 

"If you can't accept it, should I deny WangJi too? I won't ask anything from you-you come back, and I never uttered anything about the way you came back nor told anyone about it. Heck, I don't even know how the kid got that spell. We are not going to argue on this one, do you hear me, Wei WuXian? Finish this case, go home with me, or go wander around with WangJi, we won't care. Now, let this elder sister of yours worry for you as always."

Wei MeiLan pats his cheek before pulling out a robe to wrap herself. "Be careful out there, A'Ying. I'll try to get your flute back from Lotus Pier without A'Cheng noticing it, ok? Also, tell Wen Ning to come to the Valley if he decided to stop following you one day, he and A'Yuan are always welcome there,

"And you, also. WangJi can bring you there if you want to come. I've set up already the borders so it will recognize you right away. I'm leaving first, I'll talk to our dear nephew a bit before I go back. Remember, if you're tired, just take a rest. You know what I mean."

Wei MeiLan gave her most serene smile to him before she seek out Jin Ling.

"Lan Zhan, my sister is kinda, off? Is she stressed? Did something happen?"

"You know that you are giving yourself away by talking like that, right?" Lan XiChen said. "We can keep your identity a secret for now, but who knows how long that will last? Take care of your journey, and if you need help, don't hesitate to ask for one from us."

Lan XiChen gave a soft smile and left the two of them being swarmed by the juniors. Several questions were being asked, but Wei WuXian managed to keep them on the bay until they moved out and start to travel again.

Meanwhile, Wei MeiLan calmly walked the streets in the middle of the night casually strolling despite the dangers lurking at night. Lan XiChen is walking at a safe distance from her, guarding her.

"You know that you don't need to keep a distance like that, do you?" She tilted her head to emphasize that to Lan XiChen.

"I just like watching you at this distance," He reasoned out. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"One might think that you are just being a gentleman yourself with that kind of distance, and the women might think we have just a contractual relationship instead of a pure one," She stopped and looked his way. "Are we doing the right thing here, Lan Huan? Am I doing the right thing for all of us?"

Lan XiChen walked toward her. "You are not doing something that can totally disrupt the fate here, you are just trying to survive with what you have and are willing to have. But if you think that it looks like it was a formal one, then what should I do for you not to feel that we're in a stiff situation?"

"It's still up to you on how you will do my part, Lan Huan. I'm fine with our situation, perhaps it will become better." 

Lan XiChen caressed her cheek and pat her head. "Everything will be fine, sooner than we might think."