TWENTY TWO

"Just only these people?"

That's what Nie MingJue asked when several people from different clans came to participate. Some of the elders who came to ask for information from her that day sent their competent cultivators to assist her, obviously asking for her good grace to them.

They are no more than twenty. If they are going to follow the original plan, it's no more than three or four. But since Lan XiChen seeked help from Nie clan and Jin GuangShao gave his remaining son to volunteer, numbers of participants grew.

"Scarlet Peak Master," Wei MeiLan saluted. "The original plan is having three to four people joining. Not this crowd,"

Nie MingJue looked at her. "What a brave woman. Only four people? But second brother says it's a large scale hunting,"

"My original plan is to let the specific person to take over a specific direction I will assign them. After all, I only have the gist of what's happening,"

Lan XiChen moved towards her. "What do you mean?"

"The resentful energy in this wide, untouched forest is too vast. It shouldn't have this if no one is entering the place to hunt, or bury someone. Also, this kind of energy can make a place desolate, yet the place is fine. So my assumption is that a certain being here is currently staying. I don't know what kind, that's why I need some people with high cultivation skills to scout the forest," Wei MeiLan started to explain as she pulled a map of the location.

"We are currently here," Pointing towards a certain place. "And we will enter the forest from northeast. The first two groups: north and east group, will take their position first as we move towards the center,"

Her finger trailed the map, concentrating. "At the center, the group of West and South will go separate ways. Use your signals if you found something. The nearest group can assist the other and decide whether to solve the mystery together or call for more reinforcements."

All cultivators went to look at what she's discussing with others. "Quick thinking and fast decision making is one of the assets you need this time. Common folks hadn't entered this place yet, and we hadn't attracted their curiosity. The city is a normal stopover for us cultivators so they don't suspect anything as of yet. Now, let me give your groups,"

Jin GuangYao takes the north part, Lan XiChen the east, Nie MingJue the south and Jiang WanYing the west. The spare cultivators were divided to four groups to accompany the four leaders.

"A'Xia, go with A'Cheng in the west," Wei MeiLan ordered.

"Master! What about you?" Lan YuXia asked.

"My cat will help me. Go with him, you guys are already in sync when it comes with this. I trust that you guys are going to watch each other's back," The cat she mentioned is a wild big cat she picked up many years ago. It's adept with the forest that's why she's not worried.

"If you have any questions, it's better to ask now before we head to the forest,"

"Is there anything we need to do before we start?" One of the cultivators asked.

"Brace yourself. Also, before I forgot to tell you this I must say it now: whatever you discover here, tell your head clans and do something with it. Your insight with this case will be the foundation of your hunt. Whatever you witness, commit it to your head and heart so that you won't forget it. Do you understand?"

Everyone nodded in agreement. Her voice has a commanding tone on it, enough to make you follow her without hesitation. One of her fine qualities she rarely tapped on it.

"Ok, let us head now," She said, making everyone follow her.

******

"Young Lady Wei, I believe we hadn't introduced to each other yet, but you have left an impression to me," Nie MingJue started to talk. "As the twin sister of YiLing Patriarch, you guys are a literal opposite of one another yet compliments at the same time,"

The first two group already started their scout as soon as they entered the forest. Just like what she had said, the forest is still untouched by the common folks so there's no trail to follow. A black wild cat is currently following Wei MeiLan beside her. It's fur is black as night sky but shiny as a jewelry stone. It's eyes are heterochromatic: yellow-green left eye and light blue right eye.

"Both of you are smart, talented and good looking," Nie MingJue continued. "But when it comes to manners and reputation, you two are opposite,"

"Master Scarlet, I am only but a small disciple of Yunmeng Jiang Clan. If my brother offended you, I apologize on his behalf," Wei MeiLan answered.

"He hasn't offended me, despite his mischievousness, he's a lively lad. But when he started practising that cultivation, his behavior changed,"

Wei MeiLan stopped and stared at Nie MingJue. "In the future, please be wary of music that is played upon you. Whether it's your sworn brother or an ordinary bard,"

"Why should I? Are you telling me to doubt them for they might have an evil intent towards me?" Nie MingJue asked.

"I'm telling you that you should be careful. But if you want to interpret it that way, it's not going to be my problem anymore," She stared at Nie MingJue.

"Mind can be your strongest or weakest asset. If it collapses, you're in doom,"

She pointed towards a certain direction. "You designated location is that way. Please remember what I discussed with you. I might even come to aid if something happens,"

Nie MingJue nodded and walked towards the direction she pointed together with the two cultivators assigned together with him. She looked back at her student and her brother. "A'Cheng, A'Xia, be careful. No matter what happens, return safely for me, will you?"

"Yes, master!/Of course, second sister!" They both replied.

"Now, let us begin," Wei MeiLan declared.