TWENTY ONE

Wei MeiLan stared at the cultivators that came with Lan XiChen. "Why did you let them come? I thought I already made myself clear: no one can get the info. Then why I see some bugs leeching off of you?"

"Wei Qing," Lan XiChen spoke. "I warned them that you won't like seeing them, but they insisted. And I can't just send them away—"

"I understand your gentlemanly attitude, Lan Huan," she interrupted him. "But, I stand by at my words. Even if they prostrate and kneel, I still won't give any. If they have their brains, they can work on that,"

"What should we do for you to help us?" A man in blueish-gray clothes spoke. "Do we need to parade ourselves with our shameful acts, for you to forgive us?"

She looked sharply towards them. "Forgive you? On to what account I should give forgiveness? Please enlighten me,"

Silence prevailed among the group. She won't accept an apology when they really didn't do something to her that can earn her ire, but why is she doing it?

"T-then, you can help us, right? We didn't do anything bad to you," One of the cultivators hopefully asked.

She smiled at the question, like it was a great idea, then it turned to a cold expression. "I already told you and I already made myself clear: no one can seek help from me. Sure, you didn't aggrieved me, but who knows? Humans are capable of being a backstabbing creature when they want to reap more benefits, I don't want to be casted out because I became useless,"

She put her hands behind and stood lazily. "So, if you want to earn my good side, I suggest that you must do something that will appease the common folks. After all, they are defenseless against the creatures we eliminate. Return when you think it's enough,"

The task is daunting to do, one careless action can lead to jeopardy of their reputation and their lives. After all, it's impossible to get night hunts at their places since they will detect the anomalies right away in their surroundings. But what she requested makes their faces sour.

"Easy, isn't it?" She asked. "You cannot easily appease me, after all, you made those foolish actions by yourselves. Also, have you tried to appease my brother? If you think he's too arrogant with his dangerous and scary cultivation, then I'm telling you now that you still have a long way to go to road of success,"

She walked towards Lan XiChen and smiled at him. "Now, please scram or I'll make you scram all. I still need to talk to Lan Huan,"

They wiped their cold sweat and left the pair. Wei MeiLan is a demon incarnate everytime she opens her mouth to speak. Her talking manners is considered rude to anyone who hears her, but she gives the ample amount of respect to the people who deserves it. And now, she's teaching them how to earn her respect.

"Lan Huan,"

Lan XiChen gazed smilingly at her, never saying anything but recognizing that she called him. "Where's your brother?"

He sighed. "He's still recuperating. We told everyone that he's doing a closed door cultivation,"

"How severe was it?" Wei MeiLan got worried. She knows that Lan WangJi won't act stupidly against the clan rules, except when he took away her brother.

"It was... Painful to see him like that. He already confessed that he planned to hide him in Cloud Recesses before all of this happened. I've never seen him so devastated like that," Lan XiChen sighed.

"I think, I should visit him now to heal his wounds," She suggested. "I'm sure he will let it like that,"

"Take care of Jin Ling, I'll do something for my brother. Don't worry too much," He patted her head gently. "You have your hands full; training A'Xia, taking care of Jin Ling, assisting Jiang WanYin and gathering information. Plus making salves and medicine,"

"My study of herbs is postponed for now. I already memorized everything. I heard you're going to replace Elder Lan as Clan Leader, plus the fact that you need to do some important things. Shouldn't I be the one telling you to take care of yourself?" She glared.

"Why do I need to? When you are there always?" He shamelessly asked back.

"Can you tell why the hell of all person it's you? You're a shameless man," Wei MeiLan asked, exasperated.

"Do I look shameful?" Lan XiChen asked.

"Stupid smiling idiot," She grumbled, making him chuckle at her retort.

******

She's no master of night hunts, but she's willing to cooperate once in a while. Especially that the case is large scale, she needs the help of other clans.

Jiang WanYin already volunteered that he will help her with the night hunt. Wei MeiLan, on the other hand, passively told Lan XiChen that she will do a night hunt and she needs his help.

But, as she prepares to send Jin Ling personally to his grandfather, Jin GuangShan, the said man came to Lotus Pier together with Jin GuangYao, irking her.

"I heard that you are going to do a large scale night hunt, little lady?" Jin GuangShan asked.

"Yes, Elder Jin," Wei MeiLan answered. "If no one dares to stop this, it might cause disaster,"

"Little lady, stop calling me Elder Jin. We are family, right? You are taking care of Jin Ling well, so call me Uncle," Jin GuangShan wholeheartedly laughed.

"I apologize, but I dare not to call you Uncle. Elders are elders; I have no relation and whatsoever to any elders to any clans. I take care of A'Ling because this is what I had promised to my Jiejie, and I dare not to disrespect of a departed one's wish," She answered. "Fortunately, you came at the right time. I am about to ask if you can take care of my dear little nephew for few days while A'Cheng and I do a night hunt. I'm afraid that no one can take care of him here, so I planned to send him personally to your clan for the meantime,"

Wei MeiLan avoided Jin GuangShan so much because of his reputation, but she can't speak it loudly. She had no relation to the Jin's despite that she treats Jiang YanLi as her real sister.

"Hm, is that so? That's a good idea to send my dear grandson to us, that way we can have some time to bond. Also, I plan to ask if can you add my son here? Lan XiChen mentioned that you need help, but perhaps adding one to help you is not bad?" Jin GuangShan suggested.

She planned to ask Nie MingJue for help, but it seems like Lan XiChen already knows what she's planning and already asked for help right away. Now that even the Jin are shoving the help that she only needed for specific people that she wants to join.

"Another person to add in the night hunt is helpful indeed, Elder Jin. Thank you for your aid. I will make sure that your son will return unscathed but has experience," She saluted towards the old man.

Jin GuangShan waved his hand. "No need for that. Besides, a man's responsibility is to make sure that a lady is safe no matter what, so use my son to his full potential,"

Wei MeiLan only smiled at the flirty attitude of the elder in front of her, but she's cringing inside and wants to puke in disgust.