Someone There

A/N: Tokoyami x reader

Requested by: Gauri2835

Fumikage watched (Y/N) from his spot on the couch. He noticed that she had been a little off all day. Her smile didn't seem as bright, she was distant from the rest of the class, and hearing her voice was a rare event today. He wasn't the only one that noticed. Some of her friends had asked her about it but she put on a smile and brushed it off. Funikage was thinking of pulling her away and asking her in private. The questions had been asked in the uncomfortable presence of others so maybe she'd answer honestly if they were alone. Fumikage sent her a quick text asking her to go to his dorm. He heard her phone vibrate. He knew she saw it since she had been on it almost all day to avoid conversation, another thing that was out of character for her. (Y/N) got up and easily slipped out of the lounge area without being noticed so Fumikage followed.

"Hello," Fumikage greeted as he walked into his dorm. (Y/N) looked up from her lap but then back down. "I didn't want to make you uncomfortable by asking in front of everyone-"

"You're wondering if I'm okay and I am," (Y/N) cut him off. "I don't understand why everyone keeps asking me that because I'm fine." She got up and tried to leave but Fumikage blocked her way. "Move." He shook his head. "Fumikage, get out of my way." He sighed before wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. "Fumi-" He cut her off by shushing her and giving her a squeeze.

"You can be honest with me," he mumbled as she buried her face in his neck. "I know something's wrong so tell me when you're ready." He swayed slightly with (Y/N) in his arms as he waited for her to answer.

"I don't know what happened," (Y/N) admitted. "I just woke up today and I... I don't know. I could barely get out of bed and it just got worse from there. Usually when this happens I'm better at acting like I'm okay but I couldn't. I guess it's just another thing I failed at today." Fumikage rubbed her back and nuzzled his beak against the side of her head.

"I think you did amazing today," he said. (Y/N) scoffed.

"You're just saying that because you think you have to," she muttered as she hid her face in his shoulder.

"No," Fumikage disagreed. "I'm proud that you got up and managed to make it through the day. You did great." (Y/N)'s first genuine smile of the day appeared on her face. That smile faded though when the dam holding everything in finally broke. She cried and Fumikage just let her bury her face in his shoulder. He wasn't expecting this reaction so he didn't really know what to do. His presence was enough for (Y/N). She just wanted to know someone was there and now she was sure that he was and would be.