Awkward Comfort

A/N: Shigaraki notices his partner struggling and doesn't know what to do to help.

I've finally returned! For how long? Not a clue.

Requested by: @Sabrina322389

Things were bad. Why? He didn't know, but he could tell things were. He could tell by the way you stared into space and the way you started sleeping late. He could tell by the way your laugh went quiet and your eyes were dull.

But what if he didn't? He was never the most observant, and the two of you had been fighting more than usual. He was sure he was overthinking it because how could anything be wrong with you? You were you. You were happy and kind to the point of him being sick to his stomach, but you grew on him. Now you were his.

Had he corrupted you? He had wanted to at first. He had wanted to put his hand on your innocence and turn it to dust. Not anymore, though. Now, the mere thought of it made an odd feeling he never had sit heavy in his gut like a stone.

Had that feeling not stopped him in time? Had he ruined you? Did you pull away from everyone because of him? Is he why you pulled away from him?

He felt like every time he tried to talk to you, it turned into a fight. He never realized how much patience you had for his short temper until now. Had he always taken you for granted like that? Was this where this sudden drop in mood and self-esteem came from? He had ruined you.

"I'm sorry." You looked up when he entered your shared room. "I'm sorry."

"Why?" It wasn't often he apologized.

It took Tomura a moment to find the right words. "I don't like that you've been acting different because of me. It makes my stomach hurt." You tilted your head and then gave him a smile that made him check he hadn't somehow disintegrated himself.

"Tomu, you haven't done anything," you assured. "It.... There's.... I don't even know. It's just a lot. Everything is a lot. I'm sorry I've been so different. I'm trying not to be." Tomura didn't like the look on your face. He didn't like that your smile looked so sad right now, and he didn't know what to do. He wasn't good at this.

"No, no, no." He sat awkwardly beside you. He wanted to be mad he felt that bad feeling for no reason other than you, but a part of him just couldn't let him.

He put an arm around you to pull you to his side and thought for a very long time about what to say. "I love you." That was out of character. He never said it first, and when he said it back, it was never as genuine as this. "I don't know how to be there for you, but I want to be." You looked over and gave him an odd look. He wasn't acting like Tomura, but you certainly didn't hate it.

"Just sit here with me." He nodded, getting less and less awkward as the time passed.