101: from here on

"IT'S A LITTLE COLD for ice cream don't you think?" Laurent thinks out loud. "Is something warm good for you? But you don't like sweet coffee hm."

    "I like hot chocolate, though," Camila reminds him. "I'm a bit full still."

    "How about a walk?" Laurent turns to her, a teasing smile faintly impressed on his mouth. They stroll side by side and occasionally, their arms briefly graze together. Suddenly conscious, Laurent clears his throat. "Are you doing anything for spring break? Do you even get one?"

    The question takes her by surprise and her steps falter. Shouldn't they...aren't there more pressing, closer plans they should be discussing? "Let's decide what's for dessert first. And what comes..." Camila struggles completing her sentence.

    "Hot chocolate and egg tarts for dessert. Sounds good? And what comes what? What are you thinking, Mila?"

    "I mean," she says, "what comes after dessert."

    Laurent pauses too. "What, you want a hug or something? To end the night with?"

    Her hands move of their own accord, fingers gripping the hem of his sleeve, giving it a firm tug so he turns to face her. "Why are you...?"

    "What am I what? Take your time."

    "Ugh, forget it." She takes off walking first, gripping the handle of her bag and ignores his voice. It's not long before he catches up and stops her by blocking her path—quite physically and abruptly too. "What?" she says, irritation lacing her voice.

    "What's wrong?" he says. Tentatively, his hand reaches and finds place on her shoulder.

    The softness of his voice and the warmth from his hand makes Camila freeze up. She avoids his eyes.

    "You're being difficult," she says.

    Laurent stifles what is obviously a chuckle—he feels Camila tense up from under his hand and hastens to amend his carelessness. "Sorry. I'm sorry I-"

    "You have no intention on-"

    "Hold on." He pulls her in a little closer, despite her stiff stance. "I do. I do. I want to date you."

    "Then why are you acting like this?"

    "I just thought it was," he mumbles. "Kinda cute."

    "Cute?" Camila's voice raises.

    "No, no, not like that. Like. I just like seeing you. And you're acting shy today so I thought it was like, nicer."

    "You sound so dumb right now."

    "I know. But I'm serious."

    "Okay, well. Me too. So can you actually talk to me now instead of being dumb?"

    "Yea. Of course."

    "Okay."

    "Sorry." Laurent slips another apology in, this time avoiding her stare. "Wait here, I'll go get our drinks."

    They were already outside of a small café near Jeremy's place, expedited by Camila's speed-walking away from Laurent. It felt all too sudden so Camila, unable to suppress a certain fleetingness in her heart, grabs his hand. "I'm cold," is all she is able to say. Their eyes meet, what feels like for the first time, and Laurent hesitates before pulling away.

    "Okay, you wanna come in with me? It'll only take a second."

    "That's not what I mean."

    He looks around her, behind her, before his lashes lower and Camila flushes, feeling his gaze land on her lips. "What do you mean?" he says lowly.

    She squirms and pushes him toward the store. "Nothing! Just go."