61: college confessions

A COOL CAFÉ AND the smell of vanilla lotion. A pang hits Camila's chest as she hugs Elle Arora—she misses her pet back home.

"ImissyouImissyouImissyouImissyouImissyouohgod," Elle chants, arms crossed behind Camila's back as they rock back and forth.

    "We see each other almost every week," Camila groans.

    "Not enough." Elle takes a seat first and throws her bag behind her. "Jeremy came to see me a few weeks ago and I saw his band perform."

    Camila frowns. "I couldn't go to that one, yeah?"

    "I'm quite impressed by them. Didn't think our little drummer boy would make it that far. Pretty sure he signed a few breasts backstage."

    "Oh gosh."

    "I know."

    "I'm single and in the best city for catching dates." Camila burns the tip of her tongue on her soy latte. She's never been a fan of drinks other than water and smoothies—coffee, alcohol, and the likes.

    "I'm enjoying the single life too," Elle says.

    "No..."

    "Just kidding. Roma and I got back together the day we got back from Bora Bora. We just kept it inconspicuous."

    "Minus the in."

    "Yeah, she feared we were too obvious."

    "I saw you guys making out on the plane."

    "No you didn't."

    "Yes, I did."

    "Don't think we didn't catch you and Andrew sneaking off every second to romp behind some tree."

    Her cheeks flush. "Shut up!"

    "Anyways." Elle sits back. "Princeton sucks."

    "What? I thought you said you were doing fine."

    "I still have decent marks or whatever because I actually attend lectures and write drafts but man, it sucks so much. It's another ball game. I'm considered average here. There's a sophomore in my class. A sophomore in high school. And she juggles it on top of like fucking flute practice or something. I realized I do nothing well except for doing work and that's so dreary."

    "Oh, Elle," Camila says.

    "Andrew told me you were feeling the same."

    Casting her gaze to her cup, Camila smiles a little. "Actually, I'm feeling better. Takes a lot of work but I love it here. Everyone breathes music here and I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm sure all you need is some acclimating."

    "I knew you'd do well. I bet no one has the drive like you do." Elle beams in a rare time of sincerity.

    "I don't know. You could definitely rival me."

    "Have you heard from Laurent recently? I think he's ghosting me."

    Eyebrows raising in curiosity, Camila shakes her head. "No. We haven't talked since summer."

    "Oh," Elle says. "I kinda figured he ditched us."

    "No, I don't think he would. I'm sure Jeremy still keeps in contact."

    "You're the first one he'd contact, let's be honest," Elle says. "Are you hiding something?"

    "There are no conspiracies," Camila states. "If he did, I'd tell you."

    "I miss my son."

    "I miss Vanilla."

    "Oh, yeah. How is she? And Cameron?"

    "They're doing swell without me. I'm thinking of getting my apartment next year so I can take Vanilla but honestly, I don't have the time. Rabbits require so much attention and she might die out here in New York under my care."

    "I'll take care of her for you." Elle grins.

    "You don't even pet her when you're around."

    "I'm allergic!"

    "Whatever."

    "Ah Jeremy," they both say, this little w-word reminding them of him.