45: birthday gift

THE DOORS ARE PLAYING when Camila steps into the car. If this were a date, she'd expect a door opened for her but since they're friends—just friends—there's no need.

    "Tell me about your mom," is the first thing Camila says to Laurent.

    He lowers the volume and pulls out of her driveway. She's never seen him drive before and frankly, he's a much better driver than both Elle and Jeremy combined. Elle's always furious at those who don't follow traffic rules and safety and Jeremy's one of those drivers that Elle gets mad at.

    "She works as a nurse," Laurent begins. "Sometimes all nights when it gets busy, so she doesn't have a lot of time just for herself. Uh, she likes things simple and natural. I think she wears like...maybe lipstick?"

    "Hobbies?"

    "She likes gardening."

    "Oh, same! My mom, that is."

    "She also listens to a lot of music so I figured you could pick out a few CDs she might like."

    "I'm honored, Laurent. Let's go get her the best thing she's gotten in years. What did you do for her last year?"

    "Perfume."

    "The year before"

    "Perfume."

    "Okay."

    "Yeah, I know. I got her perfume for Christmas too."

    'Oh."

    Camila resumes the music and they listen to it as Laurent drives. The mall isn't far away but it took forever finding a parking space—especially on a Saturday. After finally locating one, they walk inside and Camila already has a few presents in mind.

    "How much are you willing to spend?"

    "It's all about money with you, isn't it?" he teases. "Don't worry about it. Just as long as I'm not buying a new car for her or something."

    "How about you get perfume for her. And a spa set. And I'll go pick up some CDs. Do you know her favortie composers?"

    "No? Am I supposed to? She likes the one that sounds like this." He starts his impression of a conductor but Camila shakes her head. They go their separate ways and Laurent walks into Sephora. He gives her one last look back and smiles.

    He looks like he's had hours of sleep even though Camila knows better. There are slight waves in his hair from his shower this morning and his skin looks radiant. Maybe she should ask him what highlighter he uses.