43: pre-breakfast brawl

THE BIRDS ARE THE first thing that Camila hears. Second is the muffled breathing of Laurent, who's sleeping next to her. They're back to back and she feels the warmth radiating from his blanket cocoon.

    Rolling away, she gets up and checks the time on her phone. 5:34 A.M. The sun's starting to peek out and Camila quietly goes to Elle's kitchen to make breakfast.

    Shortly after, Jeremy joins her, yawning.

    "You know, normally, this would be the time where I'd jog and then lift some weights."

    "We're friends, Jer. No need to show off around me."

    "Just wanted you to know how healthy and active I am."

    "You literally can't go a day without eating fries," Camila says and gives him the apples to chop up. "Smoothie or fruit bowl or nice cream?"

    "Can you make French toast," Jeremy says, staring at the fruits in his hands.

    "There will come a time where no one will mother you and you'll have to make your own French toast."

    "Oh, the horror," he says and looks for his ingredients.

    They make breakfast in amicable silence, still feeling the aftereffects of last night's sleep. It makes sense that Jeremy would be up first as he surrendered first but Camila's always been an early bird. On normal days, she likes to spend some time with Vanilla and take extra time to get ready for school. It also helps that she could do unfinished work in the mornings.

    "I'm going to say yes to Drew. If he still wants me," she says as she washes the blueberries.

    Jeremy stops scrambling his eggs to stare at her. Setting down his mixing bowl, he turns around to face her. "What?"

    "I'm going to prom with Andrew."

    "What about Laurent?"

    "What about him?"

    "You didn't ask him, did you? Cam, why are you like this?"

    "Like what?"

    "Like this." He does his best impression of a glass-eyed doll.

    "Shut up, no I'm not."

    "What did he do?" Jeremy asks.

    When he doesn't get an answer he storms off and Camila hurries after him, trying to get ahold of his arm. Too quick for her, he disappears into the living room, where everyone's sleeping. Elle and Roma are up already, watching a video on one of their phones.

    "Laurent, you ass." Jeremy throws open the blanket burrito Laurent's in. "What did you do last night?"

    Eyes still droopy from sleep, all Laurent can do is stare at Jeremy, who's disrupted his morning peace. "Did you not have your morning meal yet, why are you attacking me?"

    "No, no Jer. He didn't do anything."

    "Yeah, he's been sleeping the whole time, calm down Jeremy." Elle sits up and ruffles her hair.

    "Then, why is Camila—"

    "I didn't do anything, calm down," Laurent says and starts laughing. "Is this because of prom? Stop overreacting, you tool. I wouldn't do anything to her."

    Jeremy fumes and then remembers he has French toast to make.

    "What an idiot." Elle shakes her head.

***

a/n - hey guys! author's note again. just telling you that i've opened a Spotify playlist for this and it's at @ablush_ titled Buzzed Hearts. happy listening!