75: coming back surprise

THERE'S NOTHING FIVE TALENTED, AMBITIOUS kids can't do in a place like New York. Interestingly enough, there's nothing they can't do anywhere.

    But they choose to sprawl over the two twin beds in Elle and Roma's hotel room, conversation blooming in intervals, as they chew on their takeout fries.

    "Did you drink lots of beer in Germany?" Jeremy asks Laurent, as he has one earphone in, listening to his own band.

    "Oh, don't ask me questions like that as if you don't know what alcohol tastes like," Laurent replies. "But I had plenty in Ireland. Wine in France, too."

    Even though he looks a bit rough from travelling, Laurent still holds all the charm and charisma he had. It took them all by surprise when he said he'd be continuing his studies in the spring term, as he was notoriously known for sleeping during exams.

    Elle rolls her eyes, but smiles widely, as Roma starts braiding her hair. There's a sort of satisfaction that's universal when someone plays with your hair. The light tugs on your scalp and feeling it woven in and out. Elle sinks deeper into Roma's lap, lids shutting.

    Camila watches in apt fascination—how do they make it work? Is it simply personality?

    The details are blurry to her; Elle never liked to talk about her personal relationships. Or simply, she didn't feel the need to. Jeremy always bugged Elle about how 'mysterious' she was and how she never divulged every bit of her private life with him.

    Elle and Roma were confidant like that.

    Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there, Camila muses as she twirls her own hair.

    "Okay." Camila gets up from the bed. "I'm going to take a shower first."    If there's the opportunity to take use a bathroom that's not shared by dozens of people, Camila will be the first to take it. Although she's never ever been high maintenance, she does enjoy her privacy and time during shower times.

    The hotel bathroom doesn't compare to the one she has back home (none ever do), but it's a step up. After she's done drying her body and slipping on the fluffy, white bathrobe hanging behind the door, she moisturizes her face and steps out, feeling utterly new.

    By now, they've begun watching a movie on the television, interest half present as their eyes grow droopy from lack of sleep. Jeremy is furiously texting away while Roma seems to have already fallen asleep on Elle's shoulder.

    Settling in, Camila stays for another thirty minutes before deciding to leave. She doesn't know who's awake since the room is pitch dark, with the exception of the blue glare from the movie. Putting her clothes back on, she grabs her coat and checks out.

    Just as she's waiting by the elevator, a figure catches up.

    "Mila," he whispers, almost tentatively.

    Then, before she can even reply, he steps forward, hands reaching out to hold her as his lips near hers.

    He's waiting for approval? This question flashes across Camila's mind and soon after, she's sharing a tender kiss with the boy she thought would never come back.

***

hello author's note! this is a little plug for my other book i've recently posted: A Little Taste of Eli! go check it out :-)