The Aftermath

Cory and Topanga are home discussing Cory's day. Suddenly Topanga asks, "How is Lucas doing now Cory? Last time he came to talk to us was when he had made his decision but by the looks of things the triangle still exists."

Cory looks away for a moment and answers, "They decided to put their feelings on hold until Maya finds herself."

Topanga is shocked to hear this but asks, "They meaning the girls only or did they finally include Lucas in a decision?"

Cory gives her a small smile and replies, "From what I've noticed, Lucas just went along with this. It's not like him to be selfish even when he should be."

Topanga looks ahead sadly and asks, "Does Lucas not realize that it's unhealthy to keep everything inside like that?"

Cory chuckles and replies, "Even if he does, Lucas is too selfless to actually say anything. I don't think he knows this but he's close to a breakdown. He's bound to explode with everything that he's been keeping to himself."

Just then Riley enters the house followed by her friends.

"You're done with your homework so soon?" asks Cory, surprised.

Smackle replies, "No but we have something much more important to deal with right now. We're going to the bay window to work on it." They all move towards Riley's room.

Topanga notices that Lucas is missing from the group of friends. She turns to Cory and says, "Cory you know how you just said that Lucas is about to explode?"

"Yeah, what about it?" Cory replies confused.

"I think he just did. They all look worried and Lucas isn't with them." Topanga answers.

Cory finally understands what Topanga means and says, "I really hope he's okay."

Topanga smiles sadly and replies, "Me too."

------------

Lucas finally reaches home in tears. He decides that he's had enough and needs a break. He thinks going on a short trip would be good for some peace and quiet. He knows the others would want to try and talk to him and apologize for making him feel the way they did but he doesn't want to deal with them so soon.

The trip sounds like a better idea to him with every passing moment. He figures that spending some time away would help him feel better and when he's ready he'll come back.

He thinks about how his absence will affect his friends but then stubbornly decides to be selfish for the first time in months.

He starts packing for his trip and leaves a note for his mother. He feels bad about leaving without saying goodbye but knows that he needs to leave before he loses his nerve.

He goes to the station and gets himself a ticket. While he's waiting for the train, he thinks back to the good times he's had in New York.

He misses the way he could talk to Riley all night long.

How she was the only one he told how and why he had been expelled.

He misses the way she believed in him and stood by him when he rode Tombstone the bull last year.

When the train finally arrives, he wipes his face and boards it.

He looks out the window as the train leaves the station, leaves New York, the place that was becoming home.

He couldn't look back now.

He had to take this time for himself and figure out what he wanted.

He was on his way now and nothing would stop him.