Confessions

Riley enters the room after the nurse leaves.

She goes straight to the chair next to the bed and sits there holding Lucas' hand.

She closes her eyes and takes deep breaths trying to gather the courage.

Riley opens her eyes and says, "Hi Lucas it's me Riley. I was here yesterday but couldn't find the words so I just sat here holding your hand. I decided that I will talk to you today and not just sit here but I seem to have lost my words. I'll start by saying I'm sorry. I was so caught up in my insecurities that I didn't even realize that I was hurting you until you brought it up the day you snapped. And if I know you as well I think I do then you had been keeping everything bottled up until that day when you finally snapped. I realized what a terrible friend I had been to you and that was why I supported you for riding a bull again. I didn't know the reasons behind your decision for riding the bull but I know you well enough to know that there is one. I don't need to know your reasons because I trust you. I trust that you know what you're doing. I'll also be honest about my feelings. When I saw you fall off the bull I was so scared. I jumped in and ran to you as soon as I could. I saw that you were unconscious so I tried shaking and calling out to you but you never responded. I have never been more scared in my life. At that moment I realized how stupid I was to lie about my feelings and push you away for so long. I realized that by doing all that I was hurting us both and I don't want to do that anymore. I don't want to hurt you anymore. I don't want to lie to you anymore."

Riley takes a breath to calm herself and wipes her tears.

She then continues, "This accident made me realize how much I fear your absence from my life. I was wrong to think that if we don't confess our feelings for each other we'll be a part of each other's lives forever. I thought that being brother and sister was the best way to be around each other forever. I was so afraid of losing you because of my feelings that I chose to ignore them which only created problems for the both of us. My ignorance only hurt both of us. But now I've decided to take the chance to be fearless."

Riley brings Lucas' hand up to her lips and lightly kisses it.

She composes herself to finally confess her feelings.

Riley finally says, "I love you Lucas Friar. I always have from the moment I fell into your lap on the subway. I didn't realize it until it was too late and then I chose to ignore it. But after this accident of yours, I now know that I can't spend the rest of my life wondering what could have been if I had confessed before. Please wake up Lucas. Auggie needs his big brother and I need my best friend back. Please wake up Lucas because I love you."

"I never thought I would actually hear you say that." says a weak voice.

Riley looks up to see Lucas looking at her smiling.

"Lucas, you're awake!" Riley exclaims and hugs him tightly.

"Riley, need air" Lucas manages to say and Riley loosens her grip.

Riley then asks, "How long have you been awake?"

"Long enough" replies Lucas. "I love you too Riley."

Riley lets out a laugh while wiping her tears and asks, "How much did you hear?"

"All of it, I think. I'm your best friend, right?" Lucas says, smirking.

Riley shakes her head and answers, "Yeah you are but don't say that in front of Maya. It'll be our little secret."

Lucas' eyes light up and he says, "Ooh, I love secrets."

Riley now smirks and says, "Speaking of secrets, I read your letter. The one you didn't think I would read."

Lucas' eyes widen and his jaw drops. Riley giggles and then continues, "Pappy Joe saw you write it and decided to give it to me. I read the whole thing by the way. Don't be embarrassed because I think I needed to hear you being brutally honest like you were in the letter. I told Auggie about your apology so I'm sure he talked to you about it."

Lucas nods confirming it.

Riley says, "I also asked the boys about the jelly bean experiment."

Lucas groans hearing this but Riley continues, "You made Farkle feel pretty stupid. He was quite down on hearing how you outsmarted them into thinking that you hadn't made up your mind. I think I like having a smart boyfriend like you."

Lucas smiles and says, "You sure you're ready for labels? I would love to call you my girlfriend but if you're not ready I don't mind waiting. Just hearing you say 'I love you' to me is more than enough for now."

Riley shakes her head and replies, "Don't worry about it. I want the labels this time. I think we're both ready."

Lucas' eyes lit up and he says, "So now allow me to do this right. Riley Matthews, will you do me the honour of becoming my girlfriend?"

Riley giggles at Lucas' antics but plays along, "Yes Lucas Friar. I would be honoured to be your girlfriend."

Lucas fist pumps into the air making Riley laugh.

Suddenly Riley remembers that she should probably call the nurse to check up on Lucas.

She says, "I should probably go call the nurses. They don't know that you're awake yet."

Lucas shakes his head and says, "There should be a call button around here. I don't want you going anywhere."

Riley smiles pressing the call button and soon the nurses come in.

They get Lucas' vitals to find everything normal and ask him some questions about how he was feeling.

Lucas keeps holding Riley's hand during the whole interaction.

The nurses seem content with everything and go to report to his doctor.

"Can you also tell our families waiting outside?" Riley requests them.

The nurses agree and leave the room.

Lucas and Riley sit in silence just holding each other's hands while waiting for everyone to come.

They both are content with just being near each other and holding hands.